A party for the people by the people

The election this year has been long, demanding and historic. Men and women of different races have run for office and backed up their political parties in hopes of changing America for the better. But for some people, this just isn’t enough.

“Democrats and Republicans never get anything done. What if our president was not a man full of partisan ideas but rather an empty vessel who exists only to do what the people tell him via the Web?” an unknown U.S. billionaire exclaims.

Some students agree with the above statement. “I want my president to do what he says he is going to do and to listen to the people who have elected him into office,” Jackson Millet, a junior studying economics, says.

And from those concerns, a new party is born into the political system. The Republicrat Party — a party for the people. Literally.

Republicrats is the first do-it-yourself political party and calls for former Republicans and Democrats to unite for change. The Republicrats utilize the MSN community to participate in every aspect of the party’s platform.

It is an interactive, bipartisan (and fake) presidential campaign that competes humorously with this year’s presidential campaign. The viewers(voters) go inside the fast-paced world of U.S. politics and watch presidential hopeful and ex-weatherman, Sean Masterson, and his staff work hard toward to winning the White House this November.

The Republicrats were created by writer-comedian Sean Masterson and produced by Ivana Kirkbride in hopes of generating a laugh or two from the voting public.

The party’s main goal is have people tell their serious Republican and Democrat friends, “Sean Masterson serves all the people, not a small cadre of extremists with their own agendas and narrow interests.”

The Republicrat’s candidate Sean Masterson may not be really running for president but he still stands for something.

Sean Masterson was born in 1968 to a worm farmer and doily maker in Fresno, Cali. From his parents he learned about self-reliance, appreciation of local and national laws and “to never pin your hopes and dreams on worms or doilies,” Masterson says.

He attended Fresno Community College and majored in restaurant hosting. But he ultimately found his place as KCOD’s mid-afternoon weatherman.

After watching the Republican and Democrat candidates fight over nominations, Masterson decided to move on from the meteorologist world in hopes of taking over the White House.

“Since that day, I have dedicated myself to taking back America from the special interests, so I can hand it back to the ordinary citizens of America, who work for other just-as-entitled special interests,” Masterson says.

Masterson’s stance on issues is fresh compared to other presidential candidates.

In order to help the economy, Masterson plans on doubling the value of the dollar overnight by discontinuing $1 bill and issuing new $2 bills.

“Two is the new one,” Masterson says.

Iraq is no trouble for this former weatherman. Masterson plans on turning Iraq into an unincorporated territory of the U.S. with commonwealth status like Puerto Rico. Then he wants to grant tax incentives to corporate partners to help establish a vast fast-food presence in Iraq.

“Soon every Iraq citizen will be a part-time employee of Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Del Taco or 7-Eleven. [From there] we’ve helped to deliver a democracy,” Masterson says.

Immigration reform may be a hard hit issue for most Arizonans, but Masterson finds it to be a piece of cake.

“We’ve always welcomed the best and the brightest. Once the 700-mile wall between Mexico and the U.S. is completed, we establish a 100-mile long ‘Obstacle Course to Freedom’ corridor in the desert, ensuring that only the fittest, most able-bodied immigrants make it into our nation,” Masterson says.

What about the death penalty and abortion rights? Well, abortion may not be on Masterson’s list of top priorities but the death penalty is.

“Instead of endless appeals that cost taxpayers millions each year, we suggest life without parole on a treadmill. Take those guilty of the most heinous of crimes and make them generate power for their state’s electrical grid by walking 10 hours a day on a treadmill. Their lives become an endless march that brightens and illuminates our world. Talk about a win-win situation,” Masterson says.

A final hot topic for presidential hopefuls is gay marriage. Both McCain and Obama do not support gay marriage and Masterson retorts by saying yes.

“Because everyone knows sex after marriage is nonexistent. So if you oppose gay marriage, you’re actually supporting more gay sex,” Masterson says.

Is Masterson dense and too creative for this year’s campaign? Absolutely, but at least the Republicrat campaign adds a bit of fresh air to this year’s charged and critical election.

“I love the idea of watching somebody besides Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart make a mockery of the election,” Kendra Watson, a sophomore studying interior design, says.

A cult following visit the Republicrat Web site each day to add their two cents about the candidates, the issues, the debates and even to add their own videos.

But only time will tell if those people will show up at the polls to pencil in Sean Masterson for President.

To visit Sean Masterson’s and the Republicrats campaign, visit http://originals.msn.com/republicrats/.

Reach the reporter at theresa.dillon@asu.edu.

×