Youth participation in the democratic system has been a questionable topic over the years. But in an effort to help younger members of society take over the campaigns and polls, Changing Hands Bookstore is making it easier for this demographic to get involved.

In preparation for the 2008 presidential election, the community bookstore has spent the month of October organizing and hosting political themed events to help educate younger generations about how they can get involved and develop their own political identity.

“Our hope was to create events that triggered a reaction from young people about politics,” says Holly Nelson, Changing Hands publicist. “We hope to educate kids and encourage them to vote.”

The series is called The League of Future Voters and includes five youth-inspired events focused on issues of interest among younger generations including gender and technology.

It began on Oct. 14 with a workshop called “Become an Agent of Change,” which dealt with the controversial issue of gender and politics.

Kyrsten Sinema, an Arizona state representative, and Madelaine Adelman, co-chair of the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN), hosted the workshop and discussed some of the difficulties that younger members of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (GLBTQ) community face.

“We want to talk to young people about their abilities to make change in their communities,” Adelman says. “Young people have a lot of power, particularly when they work together.”

Adelman says that many students don’t know their rights when it comes to organizing and getting their voice heard.

“Students have the right to start a Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) under the equal access act, they have the right to free speech in school, and they have the ability to work collectively and raise awareness,” Adelman says.

In regards to the upcoming presidential election, Adelman says that students need to educate themselves about the candidates and find out where they stand on issues important to them.

“A lot of people focus on the national election, but I also advise people, especially those who are younger, to get interested and involved in local government as well,” she says. “It starts with getting educated and understanding how the system works.”

Along with educating youth about more personal issues, Changing Hands also emphasized the relatively new idea of technology in relation to politics.

On Oct. 21, the bookstore put on a lecture called “21st Century Ways to Get Your Voice Heard,” which educated the public on the newer ways people are able to get involved in politics and connect with constituents.

Ed Ableser, an Arizona state representative, and ASU faculty associate and doctorate student, hosted the event.

“Some of the new technological ways for people to get involved with politics are really important in reaching a new text savvy population,” Ableser says. “The old ways of reaching constituents, like going door-to-door, mail and meeting people in person, have worked and will continue to work, but the new ways can be more efficient in terms of cost and effectiveness.”

In his lecture, Ableser worked to educate students about these “new ways,” and concentrated on those he found to be most effective.

YouTube, Facebook and blogs like Politico rank among Ableser’s favorite technological tools.

“YouTube is by far one of the best websites to use,” Ableser says. “You are able to receive top videos that are interesting and thought provoking.”

Ableser says Facebook is “amazing” for social organization and advertisements, and blogs can help people get a sense of what’s going on, especially on a local level. These new ways of engaging in politics help to connect with younger audiences and get them involved, Ableser says.

Ableser says that younger members of society have an immense amount of potential and will make themselves known in upcoming elections.

“I believe that younger generations have a desire to become impactful in the political arena and affective in the outcome of elections that they genuinely care about,” Ableser says. “Too long have they felt their voice was not heard or taken seriously.”

“For youth, there’s the ambition and desire in one hand, and in the other, a lack of knowledge or lack of direction with how to manifest that desire into actions. Hopefully the seminar directs young people to become active in their communities,” he says.

In addition to hosting lectures and workshops, Changing Hands will culminate the series on Oct. 30 with its own mock debate along with an election for those who are 17 years old and younger.

From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., community members who are 17 and younger will be able to partake in a mock election by casting their ballot for a presidential candidate.

“While youth may not have the opportunity to voice their opinions in the National election, they will most certainly have the opportunity to get their voices and votes heard here at Changing Hands,” Nelson says.

After the election, representatives from the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian political parties will debate the issues amongst each other on behalf of their party’s candidate running for president.

Cole Hickman, president of the Young Democrats of Arizona, Matt Wharton, Youth for McCain chairman and ASU student, and Michael Kielsky, Arizona Libertarian party chairman will debate the policies and point-of-view their parties possess.

Secretary of State Jan Brewer will attend the event, along with other local celebrities, Nelson says.

With this event, Changing Hands hopes to stir the interests of younger members of society in regards to politics and provide them with an outlet to educate themselves and become involved in the democratic process, Nelson says.

“Not only is it important that we all vote, but that we cast educated votes,” Nelson says. “Do your research before you hit the polls.”

Reach the reporter at sasha.malekooti@asu.edu.

×