Football families hit road with team

102308-football4
Senior running back Keegan Herring tries to get past a Cal defender during the game earlier this season at Memorial Stadium. (Morgan Bellinger/The State Press)

Few would describe Blythe, Calif. as a burgeoning oasis.

Residents of the unforgiving Australian Outback would likely cringe at the sight of this barren desert town located near the Arizona-California border.

On a cool October night with a bright moon illuminating the empty expanses below, a black SUV pulls up to Burger King.

As the passengers empty the vehicle, it becomes clear where their journey to this hole-in-the-wall spot in the desert began.

The maroon and gold-clad travelers are members of ASU senior running back Keegan Herring’s family.

Hours earlier, the family was part of an ASU-adoring contingent who watched their beloved Sun Devils suffer defeat by mighty USC at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

After hours on the road, the Herrings look like they were on the field earlier with their running back taking shots from a host of All-American linebackers.

As they wait for their order of cheeseburgers and chicken fingers, they have no regret over the miles they have put in.

Though discouraged by the loss, the family said they are simply honoring Herring by attending every game of his senior season.

They also said they have already made travel arrangements for ASU’s road tilt against Oregon State on Nov. 1.

Herring said few of his accomplishments would have been made possible without his family’s dedication.

“Their support is huge because that is what a lot of people need in their life,” Herring said. “When somebody is down, they need the support of their family; if they don’t have that support, you don’t know what could go wrong.”

The family’s pilgrimage from Phoenix to Los Angeles and back was just the latest tally on an odometer that has been running since Herring was playing Pop Warner football.

---------

Herring said his family was by his side throughout a youth and high school athletic career that included football games, track meets and wrestling matches.

“My mom was there all day, every day cheering and watching me roll around on the mats,” Herring said.

The support has extended into his college playing days. In his four-year career at ASU, Herring said his mother has only missed four games, two each during his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Even though Herring missed three games earlier this season with an injured hamstring, his family was still in the stands.

“They said ‘Keegan, it’s not about you playing — it’s about the support we are giving to the team,’” he said.

While Herring has had his family behind him and ASU throughout his career, he is not the only player who said families are a big part of their success.

Freshman wide receiver Gerell Robinson said having the support of his family close by was one of the key factors in his choosing to play for ASU.

Robinson’s mother has been a regular spectator at practices.

“Seeing her at practice keeps me motivated on those long days where stuff starts to get you,” Robinson said.

Perhaps the greatest lesson Robinson’s mom taught him before he left home in Chandler was how to do laundry.

The freshman said he has heeded his mother’s tutelage, but he may soon be enlisting her help again in order to get his clothes clean.

“[Doing laundry] has started eating up my wallet, so I might be taking it home pretty soon,” Robinson said.

Saturday’s game is part of ASU’s Family Weekend festivities.

Coach Dennis Erickson said the moniker still gets players excited to play in front of their families, even if they’ve been in the stands all season.

“It’s always nice to play in front of family and friends,” Erickson said. “I know it’s exciting for families to come here on campus and watch their son play.”

-------

With night growing darker, the Herring family heads back to the car with bags of fast food in tow. The group knows there is still plenty of traveling left to be done tonight and the rest of the season.

With road games in Oregon, Washington and Tucson and a possible journey to a bowl game, the proverbial family tires still have a lot of spinning to do.

For the chance to see their boy play, though, there is no doubt Herring’s relatives will keep pumping the gas.

Reach the reporter at nkosmide@asu.edu.

×