Hidden Horror Gems

Rather than watching the usual fare of Halloween movies like Halloween and Friday the 13th, SPM would like to suggest students try something new to mix things up this Halloween.

Sleepaway Camp – Summer, young teens and a killer on the loose. All the ingredients of the standard ’80s slasher flick but stick with this one because it’s not the average horror film. The final scene will shock and horrify students for years to come.

Demons – Dario Argento is the Italian equivalent of Wes Craven. This one was made for the big screen but it still packs a punch on the small screen. Unsuspecting moviegoers file in to a dark theater for a chilling scary movie, but these ticket holders are in for a surprise when an ancient mask infects and transforms people into demons. Horror jumps off the screen as patrons of this theatre find themselves trapped inside with bloodthirsty demons on the loose.

The Slumber Party Massacre – Here is one party students would be better off not attending. While the parents are away, a high school student decides to throw a slumber party — only problem is a murderer with a propensity for power tools is on the loose. Lingerie-clad women and their dunce boyfriends are stalked and dispatched. Don’t take this one too seriously and enjoy the ’80s nudity and marijuana use.

Behind the Mask – The Rise of Leslie Vernon - A must see for all aficionados of the slasher sub-genre of horror. (As it starts, the viewer is worried that they’re in for a low budget, low plot, bore -fest. Keep an open mind and one will find that it couldn’t be farther from the truth.) “Behind the Mask” pays homage to all the classics as a real life serial killer allows a documentary crew to record his latest “stalking.” He shows the audience how serial killers stay in shape, how they choose their victims and locations as well as all the dos and don’ts if one wants to survive a horror movie. Although the movie has a humorous tone, it takes a horrific turn towards the end with a twist that will leave audiences wanting more.

Dog Soldiers – With most monster horror films, the plot is pretty predictable. However Dog Soldiers is a breath of fresh air, adding some new twists to the genre that hasn’t been seen before. While British soldiers are out on maneuvers in the forest, they come across a wounded special ops soldier who has been clawed across the chest by something or someone. Not giving away any plot twists, check this one out to see how it ends.

Reach reporter at theresa.dillon@asu.edu.

×