Saving the environment and having sex are not typically two ideas that are bedfellows in the minds of many. But now the “going green” initiative has made its way into the bedroom and between the sheets.

The concept of green sex has to do with the chemicals and ingredients being used to produce sexual products, and the harm they can cause to a person’s body when in use and to the environment when disposed.

“Overall, the green thing is catching on more, so I can see it becoming normal to buy natural and organic bedroom products,” says Heather Stevens, a math senior. “People are just starting to look for that sort of thing now.”

Lube up

Considering how lubricants were made in the past, the act of lubing up before getting it on has taken a turn for the better.

“The one reason why a lot of people are going green with the lubricants is because a lot of the things that they used to put in lubricants,” says Sukura Mclawson, a business management and international business junior at ASU and assistant manager at Fascinations on Mill Avenue.

In the past, petroleum and other kinds of Vaseline-type oils were used when making the liquids, and human bodies were unable to naturally break down these chemicals, resulting in infections, Mclawson says.

However, in stores like Fascinations today, people are able to find more natural lubes that contain ingredients like Aloe Vera and Vitamin-E as opposed to Silicone, Glycerin and oils.

Mclawson recommends “Sliquid Organic” and “System JO Agape” for those concerned about their health and the environment.

Toy Time

When buying bedroom toys, there is one rule that takes precedent over all — ditch the plastic.

Many stores carry plastic toys that may contain phthalates, which is a chemical substance used to soften rigid plastics and is thought to possibly have a negative impact on those who repeatedly expose themselves to it.

It’s not for certain whether or not phthalates are harmful to human health, but studies have linked the chemical to DNA damage in human sperm, and some infants whose mothers have had high exposure to phthalates have been born with genital irregularities. Also, phthalates are claimed to have a link to cancer.

According to Environment News Service, the European Union has banned certain phthalates and has put several restrictions on the chemical’s usage because of the potential damage it can provoke.

“Phthalates overtime degenerate and can be very harmful, especially when we’re dumping [the chemical] which ultimately allows it to bleed into the earth,” Mclawson says.

Toys that contain phthalates generally do not indicate so because many companies believe that it’s common knowledge, Mclawson says. However, toys that don’t contain the chemical usually clearly express that they’re phthalate free with bold labels, he says.

A way to tell whether or not a toy contains phthalates is by the feel or smell of the product. If a residue is left on one’s hand after touching the toy, or if the product has a strong plastic smell the resembles a Barbie doll or pool toy then it more than likely contains phthalates, Mclawson says.

If unable to identify the chemical, store clerks and sales representatives should be able to help, he says.

But instead of plastic, try buying phthalate-free silicone, glass or metal toys to be on the safe side.

Also, if the toy needs to be electronically powered, Mclawson recommends using rechargeable batteries to further help the environment.

“Many people use multiple batteries and just throw them away, but that contributes to the more battery fluid being leaked into the Earth,” Mclawson says. “[Rechargeable batteries] are cheap and efficient.”

Using your environment

While helping to save the environment, why not call upon its services for a little fun?

Play time is just another excuse to experiment and stretch the boundaries when it comes to going green.

One way to be energy efficient is to shower together, which ultimately saves water while heating things up.

In the summer, try using ice or Aloe Vera to cool things down rather than lowing the air-conditioning and using even more electricity to power a fan.

In the winter, fooling around under the covers and spicing things up with hot sensations, like candle wax, can be a fun way of switching up a routine. Also, candles can be used to illuminate the room and provide for a more romantic setting as opposed to expensive superficial lighting.

While being kind to the environment, it will surely be kind in return.

Purchasing bamboo sheets, buying eco-friendly underwear and using natural aphrodisiacs are some other ways people can go green in the bedroom, but in addition to helping the environment, it is also important to help the human body.

Mclawson says that college students aren’t relatively educated when it comes to their sex life, and that they shop cost rather than quality.

“Mainly, college students aren’t into that whole green sex thing because they come in looking for cheap products,” Mclawson says. “I’m not saying [cheap products] are bad, but there are products out there that do have added benefits and are not harmful to your body.”

Reach the reporter at sasha.malekooti@asu.edu.

×