Mill Avenue named one of 10 Great Streets

The American Planning Association named Mill Avenue in Tempe one of the 10 Great Streets in America for 2008 at a ceremony early Wednesday morning.

Mayor Hugh Hallman was among those in attendance at the intersection of Fifth Street and Mill Avenue, alongside association representatives and employees from Downtown Tempe Community Inc., the company in charge of managing and developing properties in downtown Tempe.

This is the second year for the association’s Great Streets program, which chooses award winners based on the criteria of sense of place, history, retail mix and population density.

Jill Kusy, president of the planning association’s Arizona chapter, said the award was much deserved.

“Mill Avenue is the embodiment of the Great Streets program,” Kusy said. “It’s a great example of a sustainable street that encourages people to get out of their cars. … When you have friends come in from out of town, you bring them here.”

Other streets on the association’s list include Washington Street in Boston, Summit Avenue in Saint Paul, Minn., and Commercial Street in Portland, Ore.

Downtown Tempe Community spokeswoman Cassaundra Brown said recent development on Mill Avenue led to its distinction as one of the top 10 streets in America.

“This is the first time Mill Avenue has been recognized with national honors,” Brown said. “I think with all the new development going up, it’s becoming a real hotspot to live and work [in].”

Hallman agreed, adding that the development of commercial and residential components helped breathe life into the area.

“What the APA recognizes is this street has now created the synergies that we’ve been trying to reach,” Hallman said. “We’ve got the residential component, we’ve got the business and office component so people can work here, and we’ve got the retailing that supports all of life.”

Downtown Tempe Community Executive Director Nancy Hormann said the award finally gave the area the recognition it deserves.

“We feel very honored to be recognized nationally for what we’ve always known locally — that we’re a great street,” Hormann said.

Hormann was hired in July to replace former director Pam Goronkin, who stepped down due to family health problems. She has been on the job for about three weeks.

Hormann promised to bring life to the area, which has suffered a drop in sales tax revenue since last year, by bringing more live musicians to Mill Avenue.

“Anytime you come to Mill Avenue, there will be something going on,” Hormann said.

Global studies and geography freshman Max Berlin took a break from working an early morning shift at Starbucks on Mill Avenue to attend the celebration.

Berlin said the live music, street performers and a thriving nightlife scene on Mill Avenue make it unique.

“Besides being a great [tourist] spot, it really brings a lot of culture to college students and here to Tempe,” Berlin said. “Places like downtown Mesa and Chandler don’t have the culture Mill Avenue has.”

Reach the reporter at derek.quizon@asu.edu.

×