Sanchez, Maualuga expected to start for USC

100408_footballsanchez_1_lt_web
USC junior quarterback Mark Sanchez grimaces in pain as he is injured during the game against Oregon at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Saturday. (Leah Thompson/Daily Trojan)

The fate of the USC football season may be resting on the knees of two of its most important players.

The No. 8 Trojans (3-1, 1-1 Pac-10) were expected to walk through the Pac-10 Conference and into the BCS National Championship game. But with shocking loss to Oregon State on Sep. 25 and a couple of key injuries, the road to the title has proven to be an arduous one.

Junior quarterback Mark Sanchez and senior linebacker Rey Maualuga are looked at as leaders on their respective sides of the ball but may not be at full strength against visiting ASU (2-3, 1-1) this weekend.

Sanchez, who last week was named Pac-10 offensive player of the week for the third time this season, suffered a bruised knee against Oregon Saturday. X-rays and an MRI revealed no ligament damage to Sanchez’s knee.

“We’re very fortunate, and he’s very fortunate in this injury, that he didn’t have any damage other than the bruise,” USC coach Pete Carroll said.

Sanchez’s status greatly improved as the week progressed and by Wednesday he took one-third of the offensive snaps at practice.

Sanchez has passed for 1,069 yards, 13 touchdowns and three interceptions this season.

Thursday, Carroll told The Associated Press that Sanchez is expected to start though sophomore backup Mitch Mustain has been practicing as if he will take the reins.

The Arkansas transfer moved up the depth chart from the No. 4 quarterback to No. 2 in recent weeks.

“I know [Mustain]’s really pumped up about the opportunity,” Carroll said. “We’ll get it all cranked up and see if we can put together a good game.”

Mustain was one of the nation’s most highly touted recruits coming out of high school.

He filled in for Sanchez after his injury last week and threw for 111 yards, a touchdown and an interception on 5 of 8 passing.

On the defensive side of the ball, Maualuga’s status is also positive for USC fans. Maualuga recovered well from his sprained right knee and will start this weekend.

Maualuga was forced to sit out against Oregon, but he is ready to reclaim his starting middle linebacker spot.

With Maualuga back in the lineup, fellow senior Brian Cushing will shift back to his natural strongside linebacker position.

Carroll said he was impressed with how Maualuga competed in drills, ran down running backs and receivers, and changed directions.

“Rey Maualuga ran very well [Monday],” Carroll said. “Surprisingly he felt very comfortable, all of that.”

Reach the reporter at todonnel@asu.edu.

×