Speaker tells of drug-law injustice

100908_blackgrad
Kemba Smith shares her story about how she overcame adversity as a single mother and former prisoner Wednesday night in the Carlson Ballroom. (Damien Maloney/The State Press)

Kemba Smith told students to educate themselves about injustices in the criminal justice system, such as her own 24-year sentence for a first-time drug offense.

Smith, a public speaker from Richmond, Va., spoke Wednesday night at the Black Graduate Student Association’s second annual women’s empowerment speaker series. The speech was held in the Carson Ballroom in Old Main at the Tempe campus.

“I want to inspire students to know that they really do have a choice, and the choices that you make today can influence the rest of your life,” Smith said in her keynote address.

Smith shared her life story with the audience, explaining how she went from being the naive, sheltered daughter of professional parents to the pregnant girlfriend of a drug dealer. Her involvement with this man landed her at the center of a $4 million dollar crack cocaine ring, she said.

Smith was sentenced to 24 ½ years in prison for her involvement with cocaine, even though authorities said she never used or sold cocaine. President Clinton granted her clemency in 2000 after she spent six and a half years in prison for a first-time nonviolent drug offense.

Smith is currently traveling around the country to raise awareness about the social, economic and political implications of current drug laws.

The association’s outreach coordinator, Mary Jatau, said the organization chose Smith to be their keynote speaker because her story resonates with everyone, regardless of gender, class or race.

“I believe Kemba feels a deep connection to the students,” said Jatau, a second year gender studies graduate student. “She doesn’t tell her story so that people will empathize with her; she tells it so that you can choose not to be that victim on campus or you can be the someone that inspires others to make the right choices in life.”

The association promotes scholarly research and provides a forum for intellectual discussion and networking within the ASU community for students of African descent. There are about 20 members that attend meeting regularly, Jatau said.

Smith said the reason her story has been received by so many different groups of people is the range of issues she discusses. Her story involves racial and class relations, peer pressure, being a single mom, being in an abusive relationship, drug abuse and unjust criminal laws and policies, she said.

ASU alumna LaTrechia Morrison attended the lecture series with her three young daughters.

“I think it is very important for children to hear this message and be aware of what’s going on in the world,” Morrison said. “They may be young, but they are at the age where they need to hear this.”

Film production freshman Jeffrey Mandel attended the lecture for his justice class, which focuses on drugs and justice. Mandel was not surprised to learn that Smith received such a severe punishment for her crime.

“We learned that first-time drug offenders are over-punished,” Mandel said. “In general it doesn’t make sense.”

Smith said her goal is to get students to recognize injustices, and then the rest is up to them.

“I tell students to be socially active and knowledgeable about what’s going in their community and in politics,” Smiths said. “Don’t just talk about change; be a part of the change.”

Reach the reporter at lauren.gambino@asu.edu.

×