For ASU sophomore James Byrne, the transition to collegiate golf was an easy one.

Byrne grew up in Scotland and, at the age of 16, was chosen to play for the Scottish national team.

He traveled with the team around the world. During that time, he said he learned to balance school and golf. He also got used to spending a lot of his time away from home.

So when Byrne met ASU golf coach Randy Lein at the European Boys’ Championship in 2006, it was an easy decision for him to travel halfway across the world to Tempe.

Byrne said he has noticed a difference between academics in the U.S. and in Scotland.

“The university is definitely tougher; it’s a lot of work,” he said. “[But] it seems more relaxed on campus. When I talk to friends back home, they are always working all the time.”

Byrne said he plans to pursue a career in professional golf but he realizes the importance of graduating.

“My dad always put the importance on getting a degree … what if I don’t make it or get injured?” Byrne said.

But 2008 has been a tougher season in the classroom for the international transplant.

“Last year, I was taking sociology and music,” Byrne said. “[This year] I’m taking business classes: economics, accounting and math.”

Byrne said keeping up with his busy schedule is a constant battle, one he seems to be winning: He finished with a 3.5 grade point average as a freshman.

Reach the reporter at cyrus.karimi@asu.edu.

×