Valley churches see donations drop, assistance requests increase

100708-church
Due to problems in the economy, local churches are receiving less donations but are having more requests for help around the community.(Kaitlin Ochenrider / The State Press)

With a weak economy in a state hit hard by the housing crisis, some Valley churches are seeing fewer donations with increased requests for assistance.

The state’s slumping job market contributes to a worse financial picture for churches that depend on member contributions, several Valley church leaders said.

According to the latest Western Blue Chip Economic forecast — a publication by the W. P. Carey School of Business — Arizona ranked 49th in the nation for nonfarm job growth in September.

Jim Crocco, executive pastor of Bethany Community Church in Tempe, said unemployment among the congregation has affected the financial situation of his church.

“We’ve noticed that the … contributions are down a little bit and that there are more people asking for help,” he said.

As a result, Crocco said his church is looking into cutting spending to the level of donations it receives. Bethany Community Church currently offers financial assistance for its churchgoers in need, he said.

Kris King, who works as a treasurer at Christ Church Lutheran in Phoenix, said she has also seen a drop in church donations.

The decline has been apparent since the summer, King said. The church has not been significantly affected, but it has advised its ministries to be more frugal about spending, she said.

“The viewpoint is if you need it for your ministry, get it, but if you don’t need it, try to hold off … or find a cheaper way,” she said.

Doug Bland, a pastor at Community Christian Church in Tempe, said he thinks the financial situation for churches across the state is difficult.

“In the last three months, we’ve had more requests here for assistance … than I’ve had in the 14 years I’ve been here,” Bland said. “We get three or four requests a day.”

Usually, church members who require assistance need help with food, rent, and medical and utility bills, he said.

Monetary donations to the church have been fairly constant in the past few months, Bland added.

But the church-run food bank is seeing high demand without enough supply, Bland said.

“We can hardly keep food on the shelf long enough because the demand is so great,” he said.

Bland said the church’s situation is reflective of others in the state.

“I think every church in the Valley is experiencing the same kind of thing,” he said.

Reach the reporter at matt.culbertson@asu.edu.

×