Coffee houses are on their way to extinction. Well, maybe not extinction, but at least they have some competition. Teahouses are becoming more popular and tea education is a new trend to be mastered.

Think you can’t last a day without coffee? Consider the health benefits of tea. Ali Simons, a sociology sophomore, says she is addicted to coffee and only drinks tea when she is sick, so she carries a natural association with the drink. Though some students may only drink tea when they are under the weather, drinking it on a regular basis can help prevent illness.

“Tea should be a choice in everyone’s diet because of the natural polyphenals in the tea — its natural antioxidants,” says Chrissy Dilorio, ASU alum and owner of Tea Infusions at Tempe Marketplace. “Tea is becoming more popular in general because people are looking for more alternatives to coffee,” she says. “All those powder-based frappucinos and lattes just aren’t good for you. Tea has zero calories and a zillion flavors, varieties, and ways to prepare them.” Some teas contain just as much caffeine as coffee, so no one has to miss out on their morning energy boost, says Dilorio.

Sustainability freshman Hannah Wasserman says she is an avid tea drinker because she finds it very relaxing. Her favorite drink is black tea with milk, a tradition she gets from her British grandmother, she says.

Teahouses are popular in many other states already and are quickly opening up around the Valley. “I think we are seeing more teahouses because of the way of life for many Americans has been go, go, go instead of sit back and relax,” says Jennifer Miranda, president and CEO of Mandala Tearoom in Scottsdale. “But times are changing and consumers are realizing the benefits of unplugging and taking some time out for themselves. Accordingly, afternoon tea has been increasingly repackaged as a social event, replacing the bar as the venue for socializing with friends.”

Do your body and social life some good by visiting some of the most popular tearooms in the Valley.

Souvia Tea – Since April 2004, Souvia Tea has offered the best in tea leaves and tea essentials. This quaint tearoom shares tea culture from around the world with its customers. Souvia offers over 120 selections of tea including black, white, green and oolong teas. Souvia has two locations with one in Scottsdale and one in North Central Phoenix, which opened in January of 2006. They offer classes on tea instruction. Tea 101 includes lessons in the history of tea, types of tea, tea preparation and more. The store also has a retail section with various teas and pots for sale.

Urban Tea Loft – This chic and charming new restaurant and tearoom offers a variety of teas and a full menu. Located in downtown Chandler, Urban is a great place to have a lunch, dinner or just stop in for some freshly brewed tea. The décor consists of cool green and oranges with a large tea bar as the focal point. Urban Tea Loft compliments the tea experience with an assortment of gourmet foods, baked goods and desserts. The lunch menu includes sandwiches like chicken salad croissant, a caprese melt, or pear salad. The hip, cool interior is a great place to hang out alone or to go out with friends.

Tea Infusion – Offering a variety of teas hot and cold, the Tempe Marketplace resident teashop can please any taste. The tea bar and café opened in 2007 and is a place where customers need not feel intimidated. More than half of the teas are organic and they offer about 100 varieties, says Dilorio. All of the teas are custom brewed to be served iced or hot. They also sell accessories to bring the tea experience home. The café portion of Tea Infusion serves breakfast sandwiches all day as well as various other breakfast choices ranging from $2.25-5.99. For lunch, there are soup, salad and sandwich choices ranging from $2.75-7.95.

Mandala Tea Room – Mandala Tea Room is for those living a vegan lifestyle or just want to try something different. Mandala offers an organic vegetarian menu for lunch and dinner offers eclectic vegan choices. All of the dishes are dairy, egg and animal free. Mandala’s menu has starters, salads, soups, sandwiches, raw food selections and unique entrée choices. Food prices range from a $4 cup of soup to $13 entrees. The teas are blended using organic loose-leaf teas, herbs and spices from around the world. Mandala also sells a variety of teas by the ounce. The simple, relaxing atmosphere is a great place to hang out and experience new teas and treats for a vegan lifestyle.

Tea Dreams – This part tea café, part boutique offers a unique spin on teahouses. Owner Allison Barta has traveled all over and wanted a high-end tea place for women to shop and have tea. The Gilbert shop has been open a little over a year and has become a popular spot for bridal and baby showers. The feminine décor of pink and brown, chandeliers and colorful displays provide a festive atmosphere. Tea Dreams has various set menu choices such as “The Duchess Afternoon Tea,” which includes assorted tea sandwiches, scones, small sweets and tea costing $21.95 a person. The boutique portion carries brands such as Betsey Johnson and Free People. There is also a section for decorative tea, tea sets and accessories.

Reach the reporter at jvanzale@asu.edu.

×