Sophomore diver Cameron Bradshaw is in a unique situation. Sure, dads have coached their sons at lower levels but few have done so in the college ranks. Bradshaw is the son of ASU diving coach Mark Bradshaw, who was an NCAA champion diver and a member of the 1988 U.S. Olympic diving team. How about filling those shoes?

Q: What’s it like having your dad as a coach?

A: I actually really enjoy it. Most people think, ‘Oh, I would never be able to do that,’ but I think we have an understanding of the situation and we handle it well. Plus he’s a great coach.

Q: What have you been able to learn from your dad’s experiences? Has this been some type of motivation for you in your career?

A: He was one of the best and I have a strong passion to be very good, as well. He tells me of his mistakes when he dove so I can do better. Considering we are alike when it comes to competing, I think it’s very helpful.

Q: Is it your goal to someday pursue an Olympic career too?

A: I would hope to someday get to that point. I have a lot to accomplish before I start thinking that far ahead. I’m learning I need to take things a little slower and not jump into new dives when I’m not ready for them.

Q: When you moved from Ohio to Arizona, was your father able to help you get acclimated?

A: When I got out here I was pretty familiar with the campus already considering I have been visiting him in the summer for 11 years. He has always lived close to campus because of his job and I was always at the pool while he was coaching. I got to know a lot of different teams he has had over the years and I have enjoyed it. Now I get to be a part of his diving crew, and I’m very excited to do well in the years to come.

×