The Redskins predict it again

According to ESPN.com, the Washington Redskins have accurately predicted the presidential elections for every election in which they have been in existence. Essentially, the White House has changed parties in years when the Redskins have lost the game just before the election.

This year, that game was on Monday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. And this year, the Redskins lost.

The Redskins myth has continued to be an accurate predictor as Barack Obama was elected as the 44th president of the United States.

As a McCain-supporting Republican, I am saddened by this news. But I am a firm believer in democracy, and the greatness of our electoral system.

The voter turnout was fantastic, a blowout not seen in years. It is a testament to the power of the people when real change is possible.

The majority of the country has spoken. Obama was hardly contested at the polls, and John McCain put up a valiant fight. His concession speech was eloquent and gracious, an example to all Republicans who may be bitter over tonight’s results.

I also genuinely congratulate Obama on his successful campaign that culminated in a landslide victory. The voters of America have spoken and have entrusted him with the highest office, and all of the responsibilities it entails.

But I also challenge him to earn that trust. He said in his victory speech that “We have never been a collection of red states and blue states: We are, and always will be, the United States of America.”

I sincerely hope that will prove to be true. Unity has been a strong theme for the Obama campaign, a theme that will hopefully come to fruition in the coming years.

To the president-elect and the Democrats elected to Congress, I implore you to remember the Republicans of the country, many of whom voted for Democratic candidates, even for Obama.

Obama recognizes those who did not vote for him when he said, “And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn — I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too.” We will hold you to that, Mr. President-elect.

Remember the campaign promises of unity, freedom, and change for the best of the country. Remember the promises of alternative energy, improved education and affordable health care. But above all, remember the promise to reach across the aisle, working with member of both sides of the political spectrum.

The country is ready for change. We have been anticipating this for weeks, even months. Even Wikipedia had declared Obama the president-elect within minutes of the election having been officially called.

I hope that the change for which the country has been yearning is realized under the Obama presidency.

Though I am resigned to the win of a Democrat this year, I am hopeful that Obama and the congressional Democrats will make good on their promises. However, like most Republicans, I hold out hope for 2012.

And while I am anything but a football fan, I will definitely pay more attention to the Washington Redskins four years from now, praying for yet another defeat on the eve of Election Day.

Janne has decided to see the silver-lining in Election 2008. Let her know your thoughts at janne.gaub@asu.edu.

×