Two desperate teams collide

1107087-Football
Freshman linebacker Colin Parker takes down an Oregon player in front of a crowd of student fans during the game earlier this season at Sun Devil Stadium.(Damien Maloney/The State Press)

Cooler weather has blown desperation into Tempe.

The ASU football team (8-6, 1-4 Pac-10) will bring a six-game losing streak to Seattle on Saturday to face winless Washington, with both teams longing for a win.

The Huskies (0-8, 0-5) are the only team in Football Bowl Subdivision that is yet to earn a W.

ASU coach Dennis Erickson said his team’s performance this season may have the two-touchdown underdog Huskies thinking upset.

“Obviously the New York Giants aren’t coming in there to play them,” Erickson said. “I’m sure they look at us as a game they can win.”

Despite facing a team that has been outscored 89-7 in its past two games, senior quarterback Rudy Carpenter said ASU has no reason to overlook the Huskies.

“I hope [our] guys aren’t overconfident,” Carpenter said. “They don’t have a reason to be. Our team has lost six straight games.”

The Sun Devils found some success on the ground in their last game against Oregon State, as junior running back Shaun DeWitty became ASU’s first 100-yard rusher of the season.

DeWitty will get the start for the Sun Devils on Saturday against a Husky defense that is giving up 243 rushing yards per game, ninth in the Pac-10 Conference.

Erickson has tried to further help the rushing effort this week by shuffling around the Sun Devil offensive line.

Freshman Zach Schlink has practiced with the first team at left guard. Junior Shawn Lauvao has moved from that spot to right tackle, replacing junior Tom Njunge.

The first-team offensive line featured that lineup all week, but Erickson said he would not know who would start until Saturday.

Erickson said the experiment is an effort to bolster the team’s rushing output, which is currently ninth in the conference at 86 yards per game.

Erickson said his aim over the last two weeks has been to get his team to play relaxed and have more fun, but Carpenter said only a win can get the good times rolling.

“I don’t care what anybody says; it’s not fun when you’re losing,” Carpenter said. “I think we’ll have more fun once we can get winning again.”

The Sun Devils must win their remaining four games to become bowl-eligible.

“We haven’t won in six games and they haven’t won at all,” Erickson said. “It’s two teams that are dying to win a football game.”

Weber to punt

Sophomore kicker Thomas Weber will reclaim his role as the Sun Devil punter on Saturday, after sophomore Trevor Hankins held the job during ASU’s loss to OSU.

Erickson said he had relieved Weber of punting duties so the sophomore could focus on his kicking duties.

Weber converted on 4 of 5 field goals against OSU. He is averaging 41 yards per punt this season.

Injury update

Redshirt freshman defensive end James Brooks participated in practice fully on Wednesday and Thursday and will play Saturday.

Reach the reporter at nkosmide@asu.edu.

×