Undecided future for two-sport star Jones

For senior wide receiver Michael Jones, it just comes with the territory.

Interviews often include questions about making the choice between playing football or chasing a career on the baseball diamond, where Jones has spent three seasons as an outfielder for ASU.

While he said he isn’t yet sure whether he will be putting on receiver’s gloves or a baseball mitt next year, Jones is taking time to reflect on some of the memories both sports have created in his Sun Devil career.

“There are so many things to remember,” Jones said. “From my first touchdown to my first home run, there are a lot of good memories.”

Jones said some of his fondest memories from this season come from helping friend and teammate Rudy Carpenter in his quest to become the school’s all-time leading passer.

“We were talking the other day about how cool it would be to be a part of something like [Carpenter’s potential record],” he said.

Succeeding in two sports at the college level doesn’t come without dedicated preparation.

Jones’ attention to his craft has left an impression on younger teammates.

“A lot of people look to him and he doesn’t have to say that much,” freshman wide receiver Gerell Robinson said. “He watches film for hours, and I try to pick up on everything he’s doing.”

When the clock strikes zero on his ASU football career, Jones will certainly pursue a career on either field of dreams, but his goal now is to add a few more good memories to his Sun Devil career.

“Obviously we are a little disappointed with the way things have gone, but there are still some things we can accomplish,” Jones said. “I just want us to go out and leave it all on the field.”

Reach the reporter at nkosmide@asu.edu.

×