New Web site part of larger ASU campaign

The ASU Foundation launched a Web site Tuesday as the first part of what the foundatoin says is a major, multifaceted campaign that will affect the entire University.

Cathy Chlarson, communications manager for the ASU Foundation, said the Web site is the beginning phase of a campaign that will be announced early next week. "It's not just marketing, and it's not just fundraising," she said.

The Web site, ASUChallenges.com, asks for the input of students, faculty and members of the community on what global issues matter most to them.

Chlarson said the Web site is open to the public, and the ASU Foundation is encouraging everyone to lend ideas.

“ASUChallenges.com is a place where anyone can enter a local or global issue that is important to them and they think ASU should address,” Chlarson said.

In a meeting with The State Press editorial board in late October, President Michael Crow described an innovative fundraising campaign where the University would be asking students and faculty what issues mattered to them.

“Most universities go out and they run these campaigns and say ‘I’d like to raise money so I can build a new wing on the library,’” Crow said. “We’re launching our campaign around a series of challenges that we think our country is confronting, Arizona is confronting and greater Phoenix is confronting.”

Crow said the campaign would potentially be called “The Challenges Before Us” and would be based around a series of questions.

“How do you build a sustainable city? How do you teach peace?” Crow asked. “We will then raise investments for the University around these challenges.”

Crow said the plan would be announced in February and is being organized by Bruce Mau Design, a Chicago-based firm that has done work with MTV, Nokia and The Museum of Modern Art in New York.

The Web site’s heading reads, “your ideas welcome” in large black letters and asks, “If you could be involved in helping to solve one of the world’s challenges, what would it be?”

In ten words or less, contributors can anonymously share the issues that matter most to them.

In the comment box, people can see the ideas left by others.

A user identified only as Sharon suggested “every child is loved.” Another named Jill wants to “cure cancer,” and Melanie wants “strong currencies independent of any government.”

Reach the reporter at jaking5@asu.edu.

×