Budget issues take hold of campus

It’s great that we as ASU students are protesting the budget cuts on the higher-education funding, but I think we’re missing the bigger picture here: The Kavanagh/Pearce plan will cut almost $1 billion from K-12 education, turning every public school in Arizona into Springfield Elementary.

Higher education is great, but what good is it when kids aren’t being taught properly in their primary and secondary schools? Even with current funding levels, our public education system is barely functional — what will it look like after $1 billion is cut from their already abysmal funding? Are we that desperate to beat Mississippi in the lowest-funding-per-pupil contest?

And people wonder why businesses don’t want to relocate to Arizona ...

Byunghun Hyun

Undergraduate

I am concerned about funding for higher education for the remainder of this academic year and next year’s budget. While President Crow means well, and no doubt he is attempting to shield the University from the worst case scenario, he should lead with action not only words.

[Wednesday’s] e-mail from President Crow was a doomsday-style expose that threatened to close one or two of ASU’s campuses, increase tuition beyond student reach and eliminate academic programs. The staff, faculty and students already have vivid imaginations and can dream up these scenarios without his letter. That was counter-productive, and the president put the wrong foot forward.

In consideration of the 900-plus persons laid off last term, the budget cuts already past and the thousands of university staff and faculty, graduate assistants and student employees doing more for less, President Crow should meaningfully cut his salary. Nationwide, executives are cutting their compensation packages and making a positive, team-oriented statement. This gesture might even retain a few employees and show the ASU community and Arizona that the University is in his best interest.

John-Michael Warner

Graduate student

×