Poly students kick back with midweek game night

Polytechnic students have a new way to relax on Tuesday nights at an ASU-sanctioned kickback.

The Programming and Activities Board at the Polytechnic campus is inviting students to attend the kickback as a midweek escape from homework and school.

“We’re trying to start a tradition for students to come together,” said board supervisor Shannon Poling. “We want to give them somewhere to interact, connect and network.”

Kickback operates as a game night for students. Wii games, ping-pong tables, board games and Texas Hold’em poker games are available for students to play.

Derek Upayokin, a nutrition junior and Polytechnic PAB traditions chair, came up with the idea for a midweek game night when he was at a leadership conference at UA last February.

There, he witnessed a similar event that he said he felt was a great way for students to get together in a fun forum, but still have the opportunity to connect and network.

“When I saw UA’s game night, I thought, ‘why can’t Poly have something like that?’” Upayokin said. “We want to build a better community here, … [so] students to know that there are activities for them to participate in during the week. This was a great strategy, I thought.”

Funds for kickbacks come from Polytechnic student activity fees. Full-time students pay $25 each semester to support activities including the kickbacks.

The funds bought the Wii consul and games in addition to providing snack foods at each event.

Aeronautical mechanical engineering sophomore David Vaughn said he wishes the kickbacks were better advertised, he thought they were a good idea for people who live in the Polytechnic campus dorms.

“The dorms are dead, so it’s pretty cool for a program” to provide Wiis to play for free, Vaughn said.

As the event grows, Upayokin and Poling said they hope to start having Wii competitions with prizes.

Kickbacks will be held in Ballroom A and B, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Feb. 10, March 24, April 7 and April 21.

Reach the reporter at afleisha@asu.edu.

×