Scottish poet remembered

012209-scottish
Andrew Walker plays the bagpipes inside Four Peaks Brewery after a poetry reading in celebration of famous Scottish poet, Robert Burns.

Eighteenth century Scottish poet Robert Burns was remembered Wednesday night at Four Peaks Brewery in Tempe through an informal celebration filled with bagpipes and Scottish dancing.

The Caledonian Society of Arizona, a nonprofit Scottish organization, held the event to put a more casual spin on “Robert Burns night,” a typically formal event to celebrate the poet’s birthday.

Scottish-American groups around the country celebrate his birth, which is a national holiday in Scotland.

The Caledonian Society organizes both artistic and athletic events, including the Highland Games, which are a collaboration of Scottish food, music and athletic competitions.

The event at Four Peaks was filled with bagpipe musicians and young Scottish dancers who all gathered to celebrate Burns, who died in 1796.

Members of the Caledonian Society read the audience, “A Grace Before Dinner” and “Address to a Haggis,” two famous works by Burns.

Seckman said the formal Caledonian celebration of Burns’ birthday will be held Jan. 31.

Jackie Carro, public relations director for the group, said the event is significant because even though Burns was a well-known poet in the Scottish community, not many know of his history.

“One of the things we really want to build on is drawing in more artists to our society and not just musicians but painters, sculptors and dancers as well,” Carro said.

Carro said the Caledonian Society wants to reach out to the athletic and artistic community, particularly at ASU.

“We would like to bring a crowd from ASU [to Caledonian Society events] because it is a very renowned school — especially the fine arts program,” Carro said. “The money we raise goes to scholarships and musicians for different ceremonies.”

Mechanical engineering freshman Chris Hansing II attended the event with his family, who are involved with the Caledonian Society.

“I go to these events to support the Highland Games and rate different selections of food,” Hansing said. “It is interesting to see the different cultural aspects in the Irish and Scottish community.”

Reach the reporter at allison.carlin@asu.edu

×