ASU softball team to host McNeese State in opener

The ASU softball team will open its season tonight at No. 2 on the USA Today/NFCA Preseason softball poll with a game against McNeese State.

The Cowgirls, who are traveling from Lake Charles, La., did not have a chance to see the Sun Devils last year in their title run.

This will be the first time that McNeese State, which returns all but one senior from last year’s starting lineup, will play the Sun Devils.

Tonight’s game will allow junior Megan Elliott her first opportunity to take the mound as the Sun Devil’s ace pitcher.

Elliott comes into the season with two years of varsity experience and a 2008 season in which she went 20-0 in the circle and boasted a 2.24 ERA in 131.1 innings.

In addition to the loss of last year’s ace pitcher Katie Burkhart, the Sun Devils said goodbye to four other seniors: Kristen Miller, Mindy Cowles, Jackie Vasquez and Rhiannon Baca.

The foursome combined for 166 runs and 164 RBIs in the 2008 season.

In order to start the season off right, the Sun Devils will rely on the return of senior outfielder Katie Cochran and sophomore shortstop Krista Donnenwirth.

Both were named on 2009’s ASA player watch list.

×