Boo to the impending week of academic doom. Midterm exams, papers and projects will be dominating the next handful of days in our lives, and we’re sure the rest of the student body is no different. Thankfully, the light at the end of the tunnel awaits in the glory of spring break, but we have to get there first. The big question of the week: Which one will win out — study habits or procrastination skills? We’ll let you know our answer once we get off Facebook and Twitter and the reruns of “The Office” go off the air.

Bravo to ASU’s West campus — for that is the name the campus will retain. If you ever wondered what’s in a name, the West campus community provided an answer this week: a lot. ASU West, already reeling from budget cuts, gained back its graduate programs and its identity when administrators thankfully decided to scrap their hokey plans to rename the campus “New College” to reflect its one remaining school. Good save, ASU.

Boo to late-night basketball games. They are the bane of our existence on Thursday nights when we just want to go home, but they are also harmful to the Pac-10 Conference in general. A 9 p.m. start time like last night’s ASU men’s basketball game is late by our standards, but it is killer to the team’s national exposure. How are people on the East Coast supposed to know where to put ASU on their NCAA Tournament brackets — Sweet 16, anyone? — if they can never see the Sun Devils play?

Bravo to the return of the glorious American pastime, baseball. With the added bonus of spring training games starting up this week, we also saw the No. 7 Sun Devils return to the diamond in excellent fashion, rolling to a 5-0 record. Sure, the influence of Alex Rodriguez’s steroid saga has been said to tarnish the sport’s image a bit, but we’re still glad to see it back. In fact, we’re all getting in the spirit and injecting ourselves — with enthusiasm.

Boo to cyclical — or should we say “bicyclical” — thievery that plagues our University. Even though ASU police did a great job apprehending a man on Tuesday on suspicion of bike theft, the crime remains an issue on campus, with numbers constantly climbing since last spring. They are still looking for another suspected thief. However, we are glad to see the attention the police department is giving to the matter. They caught their suspect this week using plainclothes officers and a decoy bike.

Bravo to the majesty of Arizona’s springtime climate. If ever we needed a reminder for why we chose to live in this state, it’s been the month of February, as we’ve been spending the whole month watching the Arizona Legislature’s shortsightedness tear through the core of our beloved University. And thankfully, this past week and its 80-degree, partly cloudy gorgeousness has provided plenty of indication why we love the Grand Canyon State. Good luck cutting that, Arizona Legislature.

×