Obama administration faces new Asia this week

In the midst of the swift passage of the Obama stimulus bill this weekend and the increasingly stifling and desolate shape of our national economy, a bright glimmer of hope may very well rise in the East this week — east Asia that is, as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton begins her trip to China, Indonesia and other longtime U.S. allies, Japan and South Korea, on Monday.

Clinton is the first secretary of state since Dean Rusk under President John F. Kennedy to make Asia his or her initial destination after taking office.

From the beginning of the Bush administration in 2001, the highest goals for U.S. foreign policy lied heavily on deepening ties and promoting peace and security with east Asia. Up until recently, many experts in Asian politics felt that the efforts were succeeding.

After all, it was only at the very beginning of the Bush presidency when China and the U.S. were last engaged in a standoff. The clash with China was over a U.S. Navy reconnaissance aircraft that was recovered by the Chinese government after it crashed over the South China Sea on April 1, 2001. The dispute was tense, but after diplomatic exchanges, the Navy crew on board was released on April 11. Since then, the U.S. has made significant strides in strengthening its ties with the Chinese government.

Ideally, it would be perfect to see Clinton continue to have comprehensive economic dialogue with China, asserting that the U.S. acknowledges China’s growing prominence on the world stage by affirming a commitment to trade. However, the Obama administration — Clinton especially — will have its hands full as campaign commitments calling for climate change, democratization and religious freedom become the center of U.S. - China relations. After all, the Obama administration fully realizes the global shift in economic power eastward.

More importantly, the U.S. needs China’s support in cooperating with them on issues such as Iran and North Korea. At this point, China is too important to be dealt with in any manner less than serious.

However, another major problem facing Clinton as she visits Asia will be the problem of nuclear proliferation, of which North Korea is currently at the nexus. Now is the time to restart stalemated international talks with North Korea in order to dismantle Pyongyang’s nuclear program. Up until this point, Pyongyang has openly pronounced itself a country seeking nuclear power during Bush’s second term.

International talks with North Korea are sure to be discussed in Beijing. However, before anything of that sort takes form, the U.S. has to show that it has strengthened its ties with allies and has strengthened trade and support with China.

Regardless, this week Clinton will visit Asia, representing a currently weakened U.S. and will have to keep trade and strengthening economic and social ties at the forefront of her talks. China knows that the current world economic crisis started in the U.S. market, and Clinton will undoubtedly make it crystal clear that we can compose a solution to the current crisis.

Reach Joseph at jhermiz@asu.edu.

×