Party like a (theme) star

Though Halloween is only once a year and eight months away at that, it may not be too odd to see co-eds in costume.

No, this isn’t a discussion of some overlooked holiday but rather a year-round on-going trend in which students attend parties in self-created ensembles not meant for everyday wear, but all according to a predetermined theme.

This, of course, is in reference to “theme parties” that have been popular for quite some time now around college campuses and beyond.

Many students enjoy these parties because of the atmosphere, preparation and creativity involved.

Nursing sophomore Julie Cyr says she has attended plenty of theme parties through her involvement in a sorority. She says along with figuring out what to wear, one of the best parts of theme parties is getting a glimpse of people’s creative side.

“I like theme parties because it’s funny to see what everyone wearing,” Cyr says.

Justice studies and creative writing sophomore Semene Collie also says theme parties can be fun, but it really depends on the theme.

Collie says theme parties are better when they are more easily accessible when a someone can use “odds and ends” from within one’s own wardrobe.

“I’ve gone to like a grunge one. It’s easy to come up with,” Collie says.

Likewise, some students may find it to be more of a burden to create a costume, like molecular bioscience and biotechnology senior David Calderon.

“I’ve always not really liked costume parties. I think it’s really hard to come up with a costume,” Calderon says. “I’m there to have fun, not to entertain someone with my costume.”

Calderon is not altogether opposed to costume parties though. He also says the theme is important and that it is better when the theme is something people can share.

For example Calderon says a rock band party can be fun—where everyone wears shirts from their favorite band or a concert they went to.

“It adds more fun when you can do that kind of thing, when people can share something like that,” Calderon says.

Cyr also describes what makes a good theme; “A theme that has a variety in it, so there’s a lot to choose from, so that it actually gives people a chance to be creative,” Cyr says.

Whether it is a small house party or a large event put on by an organization, one thing is for sure, the theme has got to be good in order to let the creativity come out.

“I think its pretty much go big or go home. The best go all out,” Cyr says.

Practically anything can be made into a theme for a party and to inspire creativity the theme must be creative as well. Below are some are some of SPM’s favorite creative ideas for theme parties.

• When I grow up: people dress up as what they want to be when they grow up.
  • ABC (Anything But Clothes): students wear anything but clothes i.e. cardboard, paper bubblewrap, etc.
  • What the fuck?: students dress up in really weird things or have something with them that inspires people to ask this question.
  • Rubik’s cube party: a little more on the complicated end, but everyone wears a bunch of different colored pieces and trades with others throughout the night until they are all one color.
  • I’m glad I’m not “____________”: dress up as anything you wouldn’t want to be.
  • Back to high school: wear things you would have at worn in high school ie. a prom dress, football uniform, track uniform, or something that trendy or cool at the time.
  • This could be redone to go back to junior high or elementary, etc.
  • Any theme from pop culture including celebrities, movies, books, video games etc.
  • Any era, decade or period of time ie. Ancient Rome, the 20s, the Stone Age, etc.
  • Try mixing themes ie. Ugly sweater party + toga party = ugly sweater toga party (OK maybe a bad example but still…)

Reach the reporter at nicole.ethier@asu.edu.

×