Players of the GOP screwing constituents

Who comes first? Politicians or people?

Supporting constituents in some states seem to come second to several Republican governors who are considering denying money from President Obama’s stimulus package based largely on their ideology.

Why? Apparently playing politics with taxpayer money while paving the way to career advancement is more important to them.

Governors in Alaska, Louisiana and South Carolina are among some who are wary of accepting the federal stimulus their states are being offered. Citing ideological disagreements and a hesitation to continue social support programs the money may fund, these governors may deny their constituents the chance at benefiting from the $787 billion.

What do these three governors have in common?

Sarah Palin (Alaska), Mark Sanford (South Carolina) and Bobby Jindal (Louisiana) have all been pegged as possible GOP nominees for the 2012 election.

Does their desire to reject federal money stem from a need to help state citizens? Or will it help them with their presidential bid when they say they kept their conservative ideologies intact?

“No community or constituent should be denied recovery assistance due to their governor’s political ideology or political aspirations,” said U.S. Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., according to the Associated Press, in opposition to the governors’ motives.

No politician should put becoming a “career politician” before focusing on his or her constituent.

A South Carolina man who lost his job in order to care for his mother and sister who are battling serious illnesses recently called into C-SPAN’s Washington Journal to confront Sanford live.

“We pay taxes into the federal government for times like this,” he said. “A lot of people in South Carolina are hurting. And if this money can come and help us out, we need it … I hope you all are not playing politics with this.”

Sanford’s response?

“I’d say hello to this fellow this morning and say that my prayers are going to be with he and his family because it sounds like he is in an awfully tough spot.”

I’m all for prayers, but is it possible that the answer to Sanford’s

prayers for this man could come from Obama’s stimulus package?

Remember, God works in mysterious ways, even through Democrat-sponsored legislation.

Arizonans have not escaped career politicians: See Sens. John McCain and Jon Kyl who have done a grand total of zip for Arizona citizens.

But fortunately it seems like Gov. Jan Brewer has decided to accept the stimulus money. Hopefully she will plan to use it in ways that will positively impact heath care, education and employment.

Doubly fortunate, a commenter on a Tucson Citizen stimulus article identified as “larryfaragher,” is not in control of the state.

“Suck it up Arizona, “ he wrote. “Taking ANY of this federal pork will be a major mistake that will ruin our state once and for all. Cut off [M]edicaid, close the universities, stop that stupid all-day kindergarden. If the [U]niversity of [P]hoenix was good enough for [State Sen. Russell] Pearce, a school that operates at a profit, it is good enough for the rest of us.”

Someone who spells kindergarten incorrectly probably shouldn’t be suggesting we get rid of it or the money that could fund it.

But that’s just my opinion.

Indra thinks politics should be about the people, not the politicians. E-mail her your thoughts at indra.ekmanis@asu.edu.

×