Police Beat

ASU police reported the following incident Thursday:

• At about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday, an unknown suspect committed theft from the Computing Commons on the Tempe campus, police reported.

The suspect stole a laptop computer that was on display in room 103 of the Computing Commons at 501 E. Orange Mall, and was observed on surveillance video removing the computer from the store, according to the police report.

The total estimated loss is $1,700, according to the report.

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

• A 26-year-old Tempe man was arrested Monday on suspicion of child abuse, a hit and run, and driving with a suspended license, police reported.

The man was driving his vehicle at high speeds in the southeast corner of a parking lot near East University and South McClintock drives when he crashed into a block wall, according to the police report.

His 5-year-old daughter was inside the vehicle during the collision and was injured, police reported.

The man then got into his girlfriend’s vehicle, fled the scene with his daughter, and dropped her off at a friend’s house without revealing that she was in an accident or checking to see if she was hurt, according to the report.

The man later turned himself in to the Tempe Police Department and is being held to see a judge, police reported.

The daughter was treated later at a county hospital, and released to Child Protective Services, according to the police report.

• An 18-year-old transient man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of trespassing, providing false information to law enforcement and forgery, police reported.

The man was contacted by law-enforcement officers in connection with trespassing inside a vacant home on the 1100 block of South Evergreen Road, according to the report.

Upon contact, the man presented two fake government documents, an Arizona identification card and a Social Security card, as his identification, police reported.

He admitted to paying $100 for the fake documents and using them to work at an unknown business, and later admitted to providing a fake name and date of birth to police, according to the report.

The man’s identity could not be verified, and he was held for an identification check and to see the judge, according to the police report.

The homeowner will aid in prosecution, police reported.

Reports compiled by Tye Rabens. Reach the reporter at trabens@asu.edu.

×