Certain life experiences shape who we become, and these are experiences that will never be forgotten. Oftentimes, these have little to do with your and more with other people.

This was the case last Monday night for those present at the Democratic caucus hearing. Concerned citizens presented their plights and questions to some state legislators.

The legislators present called this a “defining moment,” and said that what is done now could cause “generational damage.” For once, I agree with politicians on something.

It seems the rest of the nation has gone to find greener pastures, while Arizona is stuck with scorched earth. This is not conducive to fostering future generations, let alone succeeding in such an environment.

Young and old were on hand to share their stories at the caucus. Music therapists explained to legislators that they could not operate due to the slash-and-burn style of checkbook balancing our state government seems to favor. Several told their clients they could not see them anymore.

Mothers of autistic children appeared with their children to show the representatives a living, breathing picture of what developmental therapy does. The struggle has never been more real, and many parents pleaded with those politicians present to restore funding.

Students explained to legislators the predicament this fiscal crisis puts them in. The overwhelming question from them was, “What can I do?” Some were concerned about their scholarships, others whether they are even able to finish their degree.

These are only several stories of the millions that exist across this scorched earth we call Arizona. The ideology that is guiding the legislature right now is downright dangerous.

According to numbers distributed by the Democratic caucus during the hearing, proposed cuts to the 2010 budget include close to $1.2 billion for education (about $890 million for K-12 and $233 million for universities) and approximately $644 million from health and human services.

We clearly have a lack of revenue and because of that, Arizona citizens are paying the price for the ignorance some of our legislators possess.

In 2004, Arizona passed a new round of tax cuts. This has cost about $750 million a year. Also, there is a bill in the House that, if passed, would repeal the state equalization property tax, which helps to fund education.

Our crisis would not be nearly as deep if we had this extra revenue on which to fall back. One woman at the hearing declared that she would rather pay higher taxes if the alternatives were layoffs, pay cuts and reductions in hours.

Classical conservative political philosophy contradicts the actions proposed by our Legislature, which has a conservative majority. Conservative thinker Edmund Burke said that change should come through reform, not innovation. It is easier to adapt to reform, whereas innovation has often never been tested.

These budget cuts definitely qualify as innovation, though it is not the progressive type of which we are familiar. The numbers coming out of our capitol qualify as regressive innovation, if there ever was such a thing.

Fire and brimstone can come down from heaven in the form of a budget. While the majorities in the state Legislature are the ones responsible, we are caught in the crossfire.

Being involved in the next Sodom and Gomorrah story is not on my list of things to do before I die, and it is probably not on yours. We must take the initiative to contact those who represent us and remind them what their constituents really value.

Andrew can be reached at andrew.hedlund@asu.edu.

×