ASU Police awards community

032509_police
The first ASU Police awards ceremony was held in the trophy room at Karsten Golf Course on Tuesday night. (Matt Pavelek | The State Press)

The ASU Police department honored more than 20 members of the University community on Tuesday night during its first awards ceremony.

“We are recognizing those who did not take an oath of office and do not wear uniforms, as well as those who do,”

Assistant Police Chief Jay Spradling said.

Among those recognized, physics graduate student Jared Warner received one of several Citizen Meritorious Citations for helping to save the life of an ASU student who attempted to commit suicide in October 2008.

“I have mixed feelings because of the situation, but I’m glad the University community values life-saving efforts and makes a point to recognize people,” Warner said. “I wasn’t expecting an award.”

ASU student Alyson Boyd received the same award for returning a wallet containing more than $300 in cash after finding it on campus.

“It’s somewhat of a sad statement in this culture, but this is an uncommon occurrence,” Spradling said.

Two Computing Commons employees were recognized for helping apprehend a criminal wanted for theft and several other crimes during the fall semester.

Tempe resident Doris Cornett received a Citizen Meritorious Citation for her work developing a volunteer program for the ASU Police department.

Cornett, 81, said she is ecstatic to see the department launch the program during volunteer week next month. Cornett has been working on the plans for about a year.

“It is just terrific,” she said, “I’m glad to be reunited with a police department.”

A retired teacher, Cornett has volunteered with the Tempe Police department for more than 20 years.

Lead police aide Marc Canez was honored as the Civilian Employee of the Year for excellent leadership and service.

Canez’s accomplishments include eradicating drug activity near to ASU’s Downtown Phoenix campus last semester and handling flooding during monsoon season.

Officer Eric Goff was awarded the Sworn Employee of the Year award for 2008.

“[Goff] averages three traffic citations per shift,” Spradling said.

ASU Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer Morgan Olsen recognized the police department for serving a community of more than 70,000 people.

“A large public research university like Arizona State is a city,” Olsen said.

Olsen praised ASU police for dealing with “thousands of young people who think they are invincible” — a job he said is no small task.

“[ASU] requires a special brand of policing,” Olsen said.

Reach the reporter at tessa.muggeridge@asu.edu.

×