Usually the overused verbiage that speaks of an athlete transcending the abilities possessed by most humans makes me cringe.

But there is simply no other explanation for Tiger Woods. His feats are just too ridiculous.

An athlete at the apex of his sport should not be able to take nine months off, return and then come back from five shots down in the final round to captivate golf fans once again.

But that’s what he did. It’s the type of thing he’s always done.

Tiger’s come-from-behind victory at the Arnold Palmer Invitational on Sunday, his 66th-career win, has reignited a perpetual struggle for sportswriters everywhere.

How do you put his accomplishments into words? How do you explain the unexplainable?

I am working on a memoir of sorts, and I use the term “working” loosely, that chronicles my involvement in sports over the years. Much of it describes the sheer torture I put myself through by playing golf. Really, it’s miserable.

So as much as I am in awe of him, Tiger Woods frustrates me. Can h­e just make it look hard one time? Probably not. Because as much as I want to burn this cliché — he’s not human.

×