Controversy over comic continues

I write this in response to a few reactions I received regarding my earlier letter to the editor titled “Freedom of speech for all.” This letter was in response to the comic strip, “… That’s What She Said,” published by The State Press. I have found that not all picked up on my sarcasm, and now seek to make my point clear.

By saying it’s wonderful that such things are published, regardless of their unoriginality, their ill-social effects, their ignorance, etc., I was actually mocking those who support the printing of this material, particularly in our university environment.

By saying it represents the “unlearned” segment of our community, I was showing it to be missing the point of what ASU is all about — education. Would an atheist magazine publish a piece in honor of God? I tried to illuminate this contradiction with The State Press: Would a university paper publish something that contradicts education? The segments of ASU’s population that this comic speaks to are likely those who have yet to take a humanities course (or perhaps pay attention).

Is there no real competition for contributors to The State Press? Where did the “PhD” comic strip go? It is no source of pride to say that “anybody” can contribute to The State Press, when not all have something helpful to say. Personally, I find the strip offensive and demeaning, and regarding The State Press as a school newspaper, I find it all the more embarrassing.

Would The New York Times publish just anything? Is the point of The State Press to include “all,” or rather to include the best that is available? If this is all that is available, surely there is someone out there with more (or at least a little) talent.

I am no fan of marginalizing those who try, but I am a fan of silencing those who don’t. I see the comic strip “… That’s What She Said” as an example of someone who hasn’t tried.

Konden Smith

Graduate Student

×