Police Beat

ASU police reported the following incidents Thursday:

• Sometime between 4 p.m. Monday and 7:15 p.m. Tuesday, an unknown person or persons committed third-degree burglary and criminal damage to a vehicle, police reported.

The vehicle was parked on the top level of Parking Structure 6 at 214 E. Sixth Street, and the total estimated damage is $1,000, according to the police report.

• Between 3 p.m. Monday and 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, an unknown suspect or suspects committed second-degree burglary of a residence the 700 block of East Lemon Street, police reported.

Police estimated the total loss at $530 and have no leads or suspects at this time, according to the report.

Tempe police reported the following incidents Thursday:

• A 25-year-old Scottsdale man was arrested Tuesday night near Fifth Avenue and South Mill Avenue on suspicion of aggravated assault on a police officer and resisting arrest, police reported.

A Tempe police sergeant saw the man attempting to gain entry to a fully marked Tempe Police Department vehicle that was parked and secured, police reported.

When the sergeant, in full uniform, attempted to contact the man, the man shoved him and started running northbound on South Mill Avenue, according to the report.

An officer nearby assisted in detaining the man near Fifth Street, but the man resisted arrest by pulling away and fighting with police, according to the report.

The man, who refused to follow commands, then punched the sergeant in the groin, police reported.

The man was fully detained and taken to Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

While being searched in jail, he did a rear-kick and struck a detention officer in the right side of the groin area, police reported.

The man was booked on two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and one count of resisting arrest, according to the report.

• A 25-year-old Glendale man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of theft after an investigation revealed he entered two unlocked lockers in an LA Fitness at 63 E. Southern Ave., police reported.

The man was found with stolen property in his pockets, including a cell phone he said was his own, police reported.

Police checked the contact list of the cell phone and found it was identical to the list on a phone reported missing earlier, according to the report.

Police also found an iPod, two sets of earbuds, a digital camera and $185 cash also identified by two victims at the gym, according to the report.

Witnesses reported seeing the man park his truck next to a white sedan before moving his truck to a spot farther away in the parking lot, police reported. The owner of the white sedan later discovered his wallet and phone were missing, according to police.

Police obtained a search warrant for his truck, where they found the victim’s cell phone and wallet along with drug paraphernalia and two small balls of foil believed to contain heroin, police reported.

The substance that was wrapped in foil was a tar-type substance with an odor resembling vinegar, which a police officer recognized as heroin, according to the report.

Police reported damage to two lockers inside the gym and said the man gave them different names and three different dates of birth to avoid being identified.

The man was taken to Tempe City Jail and released pending the possession of dangerous drugs charge and held to see a judge on all others charges, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Adam Sneed. Reach the reporter at adam.sneed@asu.edu.

×