Students take advantage of spring-break alternative

Though many students will head to sunny beaches next week, some students said they would rather continue learning during spring break.

About 25 Downtown Phoenix students have signed up to go on an alternative spring break trip to Los Angeles to view the Museum of Tolerance, said Christina Hernandez, coordinator for new student programs and traditions, a part of Student Affairs, in an e-mail.

Hernandez said she thinks the Museum of Tolerance is a great place for students to learn during spring break.

“Students are able to learn about the Holocaust and what it takes to develop unbiased attitudes and peace in a community,” Hernandez said.

Hernandez said she was interested in coordinating the trip because students are looking to get different things out of spring break.

“Some use this time to relax; others may use it to catch up on school work,” Hernandez said. “This is another opportunity for students to try something new.”

And the trip is perfect for students who just want to get away for the day, she said.

“This is a one-day turn-around trip on March 8; the required deposit is $30,” she said. “Participants will be leaving early Sunday morning and arriving [back at ASU] very early Monday.”

President of the downtown Student Government Advisory Board Rabia Abdulmajeed said Downtown student government is sponsoring the trip, and she is attending.

“I wanted to get away for a day and mingle with [other] students,” said Abdulmajeed, a nursing junior.

She said she found the alternative spring break trip more appealing than going to Mexico, where she knows many of her fellow classmates will be, because of the recent violence she has heard about.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for students to come together and know that we’re going to be safe on this trip,” Abdulmajeed said.

Another trip attendee, nursing sophomore Natasia Bongcas, agreed that with ASU officials urging students not to travel to Mexico, she said she feels that the Museum of Tolerance trip is a safer spring break choice.

“I thought [the trip] would be better than going to Mexico because of the recent happenings there,” she said.

Also, Bongcas said she did not have any other spring break plans besides working and thinks it will be nice to get away for the day.

And though Bongcas said she is busy studying for midterm exams this week, the trip to California is something she is looking forward to.

“This is my first time going to the Museum of Tolerance, and I think it will be a really cool experience,” she said. “[When I get back] it will be great to share my experience with others.”

Leigh Troutman, a nonprofit leadership and management junior, is attending the trip to the Museum of Tolerance for several reasons.

“I’m taking a Holocaust class, so I figured [the trip] would enhance my learning experience,” Troutman said. Also, like Bongcas, Troutman said she did not have any plans for spring break.

“I really had no other plans besides working,” she said. “[The trip] will be a good way to start off my week.”

Reach the reporter at abigail.gilmore@asu.edu.

×