Crow: Tuition surcharge of thousands of dollars possible

President Michael Crow outlined the effects of potential 2010 budget cuts, including the need for tuition surcharges, and Gov. Jan Brewer gave an overview of her plan to cover the state’s projected $3 billion deficit at a forum in Tempe on Thursday morning.

The forum, titled “Convening the Community,” brought together the governor and her staff, state legislators, prominent local businessmen and municipal leaders from across the state to discuss the economy and the state budget.

During a roundtable discussion on education, Crow said the University would have to seek other sources of revenue to make up for projected 2010 budget cuts, including an additional tuition surcharge that could cost students thousands of dollars.

“Additional tuition recommendations, and [recommendations for] a tuition surcharge are due to the Board of Regents this evening,” Crow said. “Those numbers won’t be in three digits, those numbers will be in four digits, just to give you some sense [of their impact].”

Crow told The State Press editorial board last month that temporary surcharges and additional fees were possibilities the University was looking into. In an interview after the meeting, University spokesman Virgil Renzulli confirmed that the University would be submitting its formal proposal Thursday evening. Details on the proposal will be released early Friday morning, he said.

×