Summers schooled

I owe congratulations to opinion columnist Andrea Summers. Throughout the latter part of my career as an ASU student, I have read some pretty god-awful opinion articles in The State Press; unfounded, appalling arguments that, for the same reason as rubber-necking at a car wreck, hold my attention much longer than I’d like.

For this reason, I want to extend a clapping hand to Andrea ... for writing a majority of the previously mentioned articles.

From the tabloid-like reporting on the woman woken from a coma by a kiss, to the ramblings about her too-good-to-be-true future husband, I cringe every time I’m subjected to another page from her diary that she decided to submit as an opinion piece.

The mature thing for me to do would be to simply stop reading them, but I keep inflicting this punishment on myself because I honestly believe that they can’t get any worse. However, despite the rapid decline from bad to worse, I just can’t turn away from “The Notebook”-inspired reflections and “Leave it to Beaver” wishes for humanity.

Andrea, if you want ASU students to believe that your world is like a movie, write a screenplay, not an article.

Nathan DiGiambatista

Undergraduate

I’m writing to inquire/complain about your choice of contributors in your opinion section. I occasionally read this section because it’s always good for a laugh.

However, as I read Andrea Summers’ piece on wolves, lambs and sheepdogs today, it hit me that this garbage actually has to go through a number of peoples’ hands before it’s printed.

I realize you’re all probably working on The State Press to put on a resume when you go to work for a real newspaper. However, if you actually are trying to put out a somewhat legitimate paper, why would you give people like this a stage for their useless opinions (and I know, that’s only my opinion)? Why would you subject tens of thousands of students who may possibly pick up the Press in a day to having to read about how great Summers thinks her boyfriend is and how black and white she thinks violence is?

Chris Johnson

Undergraduate

×