Library card now key to free admission at cultural locales

Public-library cardholders can now check out more than just books.

Effective last week, cards for located around the Phoenix-metro area can be used to gain free admission to participating local cultural and arts organizations, Tracy Hokaj, adult services librarian for Tempe Public Library, said.

The Culture Pass is available for use at places such as the Arizona Museum of Natural History, Arizona Science Center, Mesa Contemporary Arts, Phoenix Art Museum, the Phoenix Zoo and Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, among many others.

Although new to the Valley, the Culture Pass program was adapted from Eastern cities such as Detroit and Minneapolis, whose programs have proved to be successful, Hokaj said.

In order to check out a pass, cardholders must take their card to one of the 30 participating libraries and check the pass out as they would a book, she said.

Each participating organization was assigned a total of five passes, Hokaj said.

Once a pass has been checked out, it is valid for one week, Hokaj added.

“When they check out the pass, they are given a receipt, which needs to be brought to that particular cultural center, and that guarantees admission for up to four people,” she said.

Participating libraries include Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler and Glendale.

“In the first week already, almost all passes have been checked out,” Hokaj said.

Mindi Carr, public relations manager for the Phoenix Art Museum, said planning for the program began sometime last fall, and it has been in effect since April 1.

Although the program was instated during a time of economic turmoil, Carr said it was not initially created to help out families and businesses financially.

The program was actually being planned before the economic downturn, so timing-wise, it’s perfect for families now, Carr said.

“The original idea was to break down barriers for people who may have heard about these institutions or these museums but haven’t had the opportunity to go,” Carr said. “We want to just encourage more of our community to come in and enjoy the world class destinations that we have here in Phoenix.”

Engaging the community in the arts and cultural resources that are offered around the Valley is what is really important, she said.

She added that working with the libraries is an especially great partnership because they provide community programs and films as well as books.

“This is just one more thing that they can use to service their cardholders as well,” she said.

Global health sophomore Martha Wetzel said she frequents the Tempe Public Library monthly.

She said it is a good possibility that she would utilize the culture pass.

“I’m glad they’re doing this because I’m all about free stuff,” she said.

Although Wetzel likes the idea mainly because of the cost, she added that it’s an overall good idea.

“I occasionally go for the special events or if someone comes in from out of town, I’ll usually take them to one of the places for something to do,” she said.

Hokaj said the program is a great chance for families and people to take advantage of the opportunity to go somewhere where they normally wouldn’t have gone.

“It’s something new to do and those who participate may just find a new interest in the arts or in museums,” Hokaj said.

Reach the reporter at brianna.mattox@asu.edu.

×