After hitting the books, women ready for regional

050409_golf_WEB
Senior Azahara Munoz takes a practice swing at Karsten Golf Course earlier in the 2008 season. (Matt Pavelek | The State Press)

After an action-packed week that included a win at the Pac-10 Championships, and with finals approaching, ASU golf coach Melissa Luellen knew it was important for her student-athletes to have time to work on the “student” part of the equation.

The time off of golf during the week meant an early morning on Saturday, though, as the squad began a practice round just before 7 a.m. in an effort to prepare for this week’s NCAA West Regional.

“I think it’s a little early,” senior Jennifer Osborn said on Friday, referring to the impending early wakeup.

Luellen said last week that the early practice was designed to prepare the team for a likely tee time in the final round of the regional.

Regardless of the scheduled practice times, the Sun Devils said they are eager to get back on the course and compete after claiming the Pac-10 title a little more than a week ago.

Despite being the top-ranked team in the nation and the No. 1 seed in the regional, the squad insists it doesn’t feel the pressure.

“I think everybody has the same pressure,” senior Azahara Munoz said. “Actually, I think we have an advantage because we know we are supposed to be better.”

Munoz said she was especially happy to get by UCLA in the conference tournament, because the Sun Devils had finished behind the Bruins on several occasions this season.

The golfers said the only real pressure involved with the upcoming week is studying for finals and getting homework done.

Some members of the team will be finished with their tests before Thursday’s tournament, which will be held at ASU’s Karsten Golf Course, while others will complete their semester’s work the following week.

Munoz said that doing well in school translates to focus on the golf course.

“I think it’s important to have a balance,” she said. “Some people don’t worry about it, but if I wasn’t doing well I would worry about it, and my golf would suffer.”

The golfers said that when their heads aren’t buried in books this week, they would be using their time on the course to fine-tune their short games.

The team also said it is excited for the opportunity to host the regional tournament. Earlier this season, the Sun Devils finished third at their only other home tournament of the year, the PING/ASU

Invitational, but the squad was without Munoz, who was playing at the LPGA’s Kraft Nabisco Invitational.

The team was also without Jaclyn Sweeney in the final round, as the sophomore was hospitalized with an illness.

“We are really glad [the regional] is here so we don’t have to travel,” Munoz said.

During their last home tournament, the Sun Devils led throughout, but lost the lead after struggling down the stretch.

“We learned a lot the last three holes, and that’s really where we lost the tournament,” Osborn said. “This time, we’re going to take a little different approach.”

Reach the reporter at nkosmide@asu.edu.

×