Track and Field downs UA, NAU in home finale

The ASU track and field team took care of business against its in-state rivals on Saturday, sweeping UA and NAU in the annual Double Dual at Sun Angel Stadium.

The Sun Devils swept the throwing events and earned 23 event wins overall.

Senior Sarah Stevens was in dominant form as she captured wins in the hammer, discus and shot put.

Senior Lissa Regets was the top finisher in the javelin to wrap up the throwing events for the women.

On the men’s side, junior Ryan Whiting won the shot put and discus, while junior Jason Lewis grabbed victory in the hammer. Freshman Marc Peck qualified for the NCAA regional with a 63.4-meter throw in the javelin, as the men also stormed through the throwing events.

On the track, the Sun Devils were equally dominant.

Freshman Allante Battle won both the 100- (10.58) and 200-meter (21.21) races.

In the women’s 100-meter dash, sophomore Dominique’ Maloy grabbed first place (11.66), while senior Charonda Williams won the 200-meter race in a time of 23.37.

Sophomore Jasmine Chaney won the 100-meter (13.77) and 400-meter (59.10) hurdle events.

ASU will next be in action at the Pac-10 Championships in Eugene, Ore. The heptathlon and decathlon events will take place this weekend and the rest of the meet will take place the following weekend.

×