Mentors needed for Obama Scholars Program

Students and faculty members will now have a chance to mentor students in the new Barack Obama Scholars Program, which was renamed in honor of the president and helps students from needy families.

“We have had in place for several years a commitment to the neediest Arizonans,” said James Rund, the senior vice president for University Student Initiatives.

The scholarship program used to be named the ASU Advantage program.

Rund said the qualifying income threshold was bumped up to $60,000.

“Given the economic circumstances … we needed to strengthen that commitment financially,” he said.

Now more students are in the program and, since the suggestion of having mentors for the scholars was approved, many mentors are needed.

“We’re anticipating a large number of Obama Scholars … perhaps as many as 1,300,” Rund said.

He said mentors have worked in other scholarship programs, like the Maroon and Gold Scholarship program.

“[The students’] success and first-year retention rates have been above the overall freshman class,” Rund said.

He said there are other benefits for the students, besides academic success.

“Beyond their peer group and academic advisers … it gives them the benefit of having a personal connection within the University structure,” he said.

“There’s a benefit to having an advocate and a helping hand in those circumstances,” Rund added.

There are no real strict guidelines for those who want to be mentors, he said.

“We want people who are willing to devote their time and energy to help students succeed,” he said.

Rund said mentors should have a base knowledge of the institution and would be trained on how to best support the students in their first year.

He said mentors would also stand to benefit from the experience.

“These are terrific students who I think will inspire their mentors,” Rund said.

Daniel Sarewitz, director of the Consortium for Science, Policy and Outcomes, said his group is part of the faculty members who will help mentor.

“It wouldn’t hurt for [students] to have some good mentoring,” Sarewitz said. “Part of the point of the program is to help people through significant transitions.”

He said he recommends faculty members mentor.

“It’s a role that faculty members should be playing,” he said.

Those interested in mentoring should e-mail Ken Hollin at ken.hollin@asu.edu or go to http://promise.asu.edu/obamascholars/mentoring.

Reach the reporter at

reweaver@asu.edu

×