Extended light rail hours expected to boost late-night ridership

082409-lightrail
Lynette Clark (left) and Helen Wong get off of the light rail after a meet-and-greet with George Benson Sunday August 23, 2009.(Branden Eastwood | The State Press)

Metro light rail officials hope students returning to campus will bring increased ridership to their new late-night service, officials said.

Hillary Foose, a Metro light rail spokeswoman, said the public spoke out about wanting later hours after the light rail was introduced to the Valley in December.

“There was an overwhelming amount [of people] that wanted the hours to be longer,” Foose said.

In response to the requests, Metro extended its hours on July 1, with the last train leaving at 2 a.m. and completing its route by 3 a.m. on weekends.

Since July, two percent of weekend ridership has occurred from 12 a.m. and 3 a.m., but because the extended hours are new the time extension is still being examined, Foose said.

“The Metro is constantly evaluating [ridership], but it’s a little early at this point to determine if the late-night hours are cost effective,” Foose said.

Though Foose said it’s too early to tell if ridership will increase, Metro is hoping ASU students will utilize the new hours.

Business freshman Taylor Bird said he finds the extended hours convenient.

“I’m usually up until 4 or 5 a.m., and I would like to check out downtown,” Bird said.

Angela Sassoon, 35, and Desiree Figueroa, 31, of Phoenix, both said they are able to stay out later because of the extended hours.

“Usually we’d be leaving [a bar] by 11 p.m.,” Sassoon said, “but now we can stay a lot longer.”

Business owners along the light rail were among those who voiced a request for extended light rail hours, Foose said.

Restaurants like Seamus McCaffrey’s Irish Pub and Restaurant are seeing an increase in business since the light rail hours were extended, bartender Mealedia White said.

Since the light rail has been running later, business has improved, White said.

“I only work Friday nights, and I’ve seen a change,” White said. “People are definitely coming [downtown], for sure, and they’re staying later.”

Before Metro extended its hours of operation, White said, people were upset that they had to leave by 11 p.m.

“Now, when they get here, they stay,” she said.

Reach the reporter at sarah.hotchkiss@asu.edu.

×