ASU strong in tuneup action

092109Volleyball
Junior outside hitter Sarah Reaves lines up for a kill during a match earlier this season at Wells Fargo Arena. ASU wrapped nonconference play this weekend.(Matt Pavelek | The State Press)

The ASU volleyball team wrapped up its nonconference schedule in dominating fashion this past weekend, going 3-0 and winning the Holly Young Invitational in Durham, N.H.

The Sun Devils (10-2) lost only one set the entire weekend in their victories over Harvard, Wyoming and New Hampshire.

Junior liberao Sarah Johnson, junior outside hitter Sarah Reaves and sophomore outside hitter Sofie Schlagintweit were named to the All-Tournament team, as the Sun Devils outscored their opponents 247-147.

ASU defeated Harvard on Friday afternoon 3-0 (25-16, 25-16, 25-7).

Reaves led the Sun Devils in kills with 10, which she recorded in only two sets. Schlagintweit was solid on offense and defense, recording seven kills, 12 digs and two total blocks. Sophomore outside hitter Camri Zwiesler added eight kills.

ASU faced its toughest competition of the tournament on Saturday morning at 7 a.m. Arizona time, defeating Wyoming 3-1 (25-20, 25-12, 22-25, 25-12).

Reaves and Schlagintweit once again led the Sun Devils, each recording 17 kills. Schlagintweit was also unstoppable on serves, recording five service aces.

Johnson, who was named the starting libero earlier in the week, recorded 13 digs to lead ASU, and Schlagintweit contributed 12 as well.

The Sun Devils also recorded 19 blocks, a season high. Sophomore Sonja Markanovich led the team with 10 blocking assists, while Zwiesler contributed seven.

Sophomore setter Katie Crosby recorded 45 assists.

The Sun Devils wrapped up the tournament by thrashing tournament host UNH 3-0 (25-16, 25-6, 25-17).

The 19-point margin of victory in the second set was the largest of the season.

Reaves led the team in kills again, recording 17, while Schlagintweit finished second in kills, recording 10.

Johnson had another stellar defensive performance by notching 10 digs, while Markanovich led the team with nine blocking assists.

Reaves had 44 kills on the weekend and Schlagintweit had 34 kills to give the Sun Devils a lethal two-pronged offensive attack.

Crosby played every minute at setter and recorded a total of 116 assists, and Johnson had 32 digs to lead the Sun Devil defense.

Reach the reporter at kyle.glaser@asu.edu.

×