Bringing in business

biodesign_weh
Lab technician Chelsea Conn prepares samples in a Biodesign Institute lab on Monday.(Scott Stuk | The State Press)

The Translational Genomics Research Institute and the Biodesign Institute at ASU received an award Friday from Gov. Jan Brewer for bringing new international investors to Arizona.

TGen and the Biodesign Institute won the 2009 Excellence in Economic Development award in the category of Innovative Economic Development for their program, Partnership for Personalized Medicine, which also includes the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.

The award recognizes the Partnership for Personalized Medicine’s collaboration with the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, which has made an investment in the partnership’s work.

Through the partnership, Luxembourg plans to diversify its economy and help create a Biobank institution in the country, called the Integrated Biobank of Luxembourg.

The Biobank will collect all types of biological samples, including organs, blood, saliva and cancerous tumor samples for research purposes.

Over the next five years, Luxembourg has committed to giving $200 million to be used by the three organizations and any groups that work with the partnership.

“We really appreciate being recognized for this award that recognizes us trying to help patients as well as bring investment dollars to Arizona, especially at a time where we need every investment dollar we can get,” said Steve Yozwiak, TGen senior science writer. “We really could use a shot in the arm at this point.”

Postdoctoral research associate Fernanda Festa has worked at the Biodesign Institute since April 2009. She sees the Partnership for Personalized Medicine as a way of not only bringing in investors, but aiding the community as well.

“We are treating patients better because we have eliminated medicines that don’t work,” Festa said. “Instead of trying out the same medicines that don’t work, we are … able to create more personalized medicine. The odds are better for the patient, who saves money and lives.”

Deputy director of the Biodesign Institute Neal Woodbury said the award will show the community what the Partnership of Personalized Medicine is doing and how it benefits the community.

“It may even open the door to new partnerships, which would also bring more money to the benefit,” Woodbury said. “It also visualizes the partnership for people to notice us.”

Woodbury said the group wants to create many collaborative products and partnerships on top of the Luxembourg one.

However, right now the group is focusing on diabetes and lung cancer.

One of the main goals that Luxembourg and the Partnership of Personalized Medicine are working on is to create a test for pre-symptomatic lung cancer, hoping to detect the disease as early as possible.

“The outcome is more likely to be positive the earlier you find it,” Woodbury said. “This could save a lot of lives.”

Reach the reporter at sheydt@asu.edu.

×