Ease the commute, improve public transportation

When I am sitting on the northbound 101 in afternoon traffic with no air conditioning, I hate life. While stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I come to the realization everyone else does: Arizona’s public transit system is abysmal.

There is really no sign of improvement either; our population growth will outpace any construction of new freeways or roads. Travel times will keep skyrocketing if we do not address our destroyed public transit system.

Unfortunately, this realization comes at a time when Arizona is staring down a multi-billion dollar fiscal shortfall. However, this did not stop a small, but vocal, group from meeting at Mesa Community College last Wednesday.

The Arizona Republic reported in a Sept. 9 article that 25 people showed up, but it represented a much larger group.

This low turnout is surprising. Many Arizonans dread their commute to work in the morning — it can take hours just to travel one way. The constant road construction does nothing to ease driver’s migraines either. A more efficient and effective public transit system would relieve so much stress as well as curb oil depletion and carbon emissions.

The Metro light rail did open this past December, but it leaves the public hungry for more progressive transportation. While it covers many high-traffic areas of the Valley, such as ASU, Sky Harbor International Airport and downtown Phoenix, it leaves much of the Phoenix metropolitan area out. Scottsdale, East Mesa, Chandler and Gilbert, among others, do not get to experience quality public transportation.

Many consider improving the transit system a radical idea, especially in the middle of a fiscal crisis. The small but vocal group that met last Wednesday set forth several financing ideas.

One of these ideas is increasing the state tax on gasoline, a figure that has not been adjusted since 1991.

Another option is a tax reform of sorts. This notion suggests the state would gradually move from a fuel tax to a more efficient tax that would be levied based on vehicle miles traveled. We can also consider toll roads and inquire more persistently about federal funding. Perhaps the most important point is that the money allocated for transportation should not be swept into the state’s general fund, thus ensuring it is used solely for transportation.

This minority has brought attention to an increasingly important issue facing Arizona. Thankfully, rather than just complaining, they brought forth solutions. It is with these ideas we should move forward and lead Arizona into a brighter future.

Andrew can be reached at andrew.hedlund@asu.edu.

×