Study: Lack of vegetation heats up low-income neighborhoods

The wealth of a neighborhood could influence the outdoor temperature of the area, according to a study to be released in October by ASU researchers.

The study, titled “Geospatial Contributions to Urban Hazard and Disaster Analysis,” is part of a project that began in September 2008 with a $1.4 million grant from the National Science Foundation.

Results from the study show that an abundance of vegetation in wealthier neighborhoods helps cool down the area, while a lack of vegetation in low-income neighborhoods creates “heat islands,” said Sharon Harlan, an associate professor with the School of Human Evolution and Social Change who contributed to the study.

“People with money have more options. They can choose areas with lush vegetation, live near parks or live in more desirable areas,” Harlan said. “But in poorer areas, there is very limited to non-existent vegetation to cool down the area.”

Harlan said temperatures in Arizona are lower in areas with more trees, flowers and plants, but higher in areas with less plant life.

Additional research showed a correlation between the heat islands in low-income areas and heat-related illnesses and fatalities.

Darren Ruddell, a postdoctoral researcher for the Global Institute of Sustainability, said research from 808 social surveys in 40 neighborhoods showed that the people most vulnerable to heat-related illnesses often live in low-income areas where the temperatures are higher.

“We found that climate-related illnesses are most often related to economic status, ethnicity and age,” Ruddell said.

For this reason, Harlan said she hopes to be able to use the findings to identify ways to lower neighborhood temperatures.

“One of our goals is to form a partnership with a low-income community in order to gain an in-depth understanding of vulnerability to extreme heat,” Harlan said, adding that researchers would like to work with these neighborhoods to improve heat conditions.

Anthony Brazel, a professor and the associate director of the School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning who contributed to temperature research, agreed that the findings could be used to understand how to make a neighborhood less vulnerable to heat.

“This is a very revealing investigation that I’m sure the city of Phoenix could use to become more aware of the characteristics of these higher temperature neighborhoods,” Brazel said. “Hopefully they will learn how to adapt these neighborhoods through the right types of vegetation.”

Reach the reporter at allison.gatlin@asu.edu.

×