Tempe Police reports increase in rape cases

Rape cases in Tempe nearly doubled since this time last year, possibly a result of record enrollment and awareness campaigns by the Tempe Police Department to promote reporting the incidents, a spokesman said Tuesday.

Forty-two rape cases were reported between January and July this year, compared to 22 reported cases through July 2008. The increase puts Tempe on pace to reach 65 rape cases this year.

Tempe Police spokesman Sgt. Steve Carbajal said though the department can speculate about why rape cases increased, there’s no way to quantify the possible causes.

“We never know why a crime goes up necessarily,” he said. “There are several factors, not all of which you can pinpoint, which is similar for decreases in crime.”

In May and September of this year, Tempe police mounted campaigns to increase awareness about sexual violence. The department saw a spike in rape cases in those months, he said.

At the beginning of the school year, the influx of students typically can be tied to a jump in the city’s rape numbers, Carbajal said. Record attendance also leads to an increase in reported cases, he said.

“Where else do you see that big of an influx of population?” he said. “You take that population into account and then you take the way Tempe is located geographically, how everyone who commutes travels through Tempe.”

The light rail has brought downtown Phoenix commuters to the city as well, which could be a contributing factor, he said.

Tempe police are doing what they can to empower rape victims to speak out, Carbajal said, since the crime is often underreported.

“[The reason] may be because of the negative stigma attached to it, maybe because of shame or embarrassment,” he said. “If you’ve been victimized it’s not something you should be shameful of.”

Literature senior Morgan Ross said when people make risky choices they are less likely to report something went wrong.

“You justify what’s going on in the moment, and a lot of those situations lead to rape,” Ross said. “A lot of people don’t talk about it because it seems justifiable.”

A lot of victims are able to justify these incidents with excuses about how much they had to drink, what they were wearing or by saying the person was just a friend, she said.

Peer Solutions, a nonprofit organization in Phoenix, tries to help those who have been affected by sexual assault.

Jennifer Rauhouse started the organization to create positive social change while promoting respect and addressing the causes of problematic behavior.

The organization works with 11 schools to teach young people safety, equality and respect, she said.

While she hopes more people are coming out and reporting sexual assault, Rauhouse said she’s seen evidence that the economy could be having an effect on the rapid increase.

“People are pulling together more than ever, but I’m also seeing the other side of it,” Rauhouse said.

With intervention services, such as Child Protective Services, seeing state budget cuts, Rauhouse said there have been more problems getting help for victims of abuse. Peer Solutions has seen an increase in child abuse as a result, she said.

“I’m wondering if it’s more of a sign of the times as well.”

Rauhouse said the most important thing to do when dealing with sexual assault is to speak up.

“Silence and denial perpetuate sexual violence,” she said. “Address it as soon as possible and work to cultivate social change.”

She also said when people encounter a rape victim it is important to respond with empathy and support instead of judgment.

“We have this crazy stigma in our society about people that have been sexually violated,” Rauhouse said.

If society was more supportive of victims, more people would come forward, she said.

“The truth is we live in a great world,” she said. “Nobody wants anybody they care about and love to get hurt.”

The ASU Police Department is also joining the effort to promote sexual violence prevention.

Cmdr. Jim Hardina said increasing alcohol awareness is a big part of preventing sexual violence.

“One of the prominent causes of sexual assault on campus is alcohol abuse,” Hardina said.

The station is working with Student Health, Res Life and Greek Life to discuss alcohol and sexual assault prevention.

Reach the reporter at vajones2@asu.edu.

×