Bloggers are often criticized for being wannabe journalists, mainly because they choose to write about trivial, daily-life happenings such as their super important fashion tips, how they were pleased Chuck Liddell was kicked off “Dancing with the Stars,” and chronicling every disgustingly cute thing that their child does.

Let’s face it, bloggers can get away with things that journalists just can’t.

Sometimes that fact is a good thing. Even I have a few blogs I visit as part of my daily news round-up ritual. I love that they are able to be sarcastic, playful and straight up with what’s really on their minds.

Bloggers are average people, sharing their run-of-the-mill observations with anyone on the Web willing to listen. Blogs have a raw,

straightforward nature that allows like-minded readers to connect with and trust the blogger in a way they can’t with newspapers.

What most people don’t realize though, is that bloggers aren’t forced to adhere to the same ethical standards as journalists. Many popular bloggers receive gifts and bribes from companies in exchange for writing reviews that may be deceptive.

Take any beginners journalism class, and accepting gifts or bribes is one of the first things you will learn not to do. Accepting gifts or bribes under the table can result in serious consequences; the worst being a loss of confidence in your integrity as a writer.

Nowadays, people look to their favorite blogs just as often as more traditionally credited sources for their information, and most consumers probably never see a need to scrutinize the precise differences between bloggers and professional journalists.

Advertisers have quickly seized the opportunity to easily turn bloggers into product endorsers, while the consumers remain oblivious.

Word-of-mouth praises spread swiftly through the immense grapevine that is the blogosphere. Give a blogger-mom with five children a year’s worth of diapers or a free trip to Disneyland, and she’s putty in your devious hands.

The Federal Trade Commission has intervened just in time.

On Oct. 5, Foxnews.com reported the Federal Trade Commission set guidelines expressing that bloggers who receive any gifts or monetary compensation related to their product reviews must openly and clearly state that fact.

Beginning Dec. 1, violators can be fined up to $11,000 or be “ordered to reimburse consumers for financial losses stemming from inappropriate product reviews,” according to Foxnews.com.

Although the FTC’s actions are somewhat overdue — they haven’t made any revisions to their guidelines on endorsements and testimonials since 1980 — they should be appreciated by journalists and consumers alike.

Obviously, the rule will be near impossible to enforce because there are millions of blogs floating around the Web. But hopefully it will encourage bloggers who strive to be thought about as “real” journalists to take responsibility for what they post.

It’s comforting for me to see while the modern world of journalism is undergoing massive changes and transitions, the FTC will not allow the fundamental standards to be left behind.

Reach Erica at etiffany@asu.edu.

×