The Federalist Papers can be considered the pinnacle of American political thought. Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay, three of the greatest political minds this country has ever produced, co-authored essays that ensured the ratification of our present Constitution. They were certainly an unlikely trio and had different ideas, but they understood that they were better than their present circumstance. History called upon them to put aside their differences and make a real change.

This does not differ from our present situation. We must, as our Founding Fathers did, put our differences aside.

Our country is in the midst of an ideological war right now; conservatives denounce President Barack Obama’s agenda as socialism, and the left decries the right as religious fanatics. This rhetoric keeps us spinning in circles and reciting the same old arguments. Such name-calling stirs the emotions and leaves little room for common sense, which is very dangerous.

Cool heads must prevail in the time of a crisis; governing with an even-tempered hand is a must. As a community, state and country, we must search for the policies that work, not the liberal point of view or the conservative agenda.

We will disagree along the way just as our predecessors did. However, these dissents ensure that we have a healthy, working government. As frustrating as they may be, we must realize these squabbles are a part of the process that will close the gap between where we are and where we could be.

Coming to terms with our disagreements is only one portion of this equation. We must also learn to listen to each other. Our society is fast-paced and demands instant gratification. The impatience that has developed as a result spills over into our politics. If we are to cooperate, we must first hear the other side out.

Whether we admit it or not, both sides have good ideas. The current health care debate is a perfect case in point. Liberals champion a public option and conservatives put their stake in tort reform. Both things can work if a collaborative effort is made.

Our system will never be perfect, but that should not stop us from striving for perfection. If we stop aiming for the ideal state, we give up on our potential and ourselves. There will be apprehension as we step into the unknown, but I welcome it.

Nerves ran high in 1913 when people voted directly for senators for the first time; we lived to tell the tale. Tensions ran high when schools were desegregated; the nation fared better because of it. People were uneasy on July 30, 1965, when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed Medicare and Medicaid into law; the sun rose the next morning.

Often times the changes we fear the most work out the best. The partisan bickering that dominates our politics must stop. Instead liberals and conservatives must view each other as equals. Only then can we claim victory and ride off into the sunset.

Reach Andrew at andrew.hedlund@asu.edu.

×