Injuries piling up for Sun Devils

A stretch of seven straight games without a weekend off has started to take its toll on the ASU football team.

In addition to taking a beating on the scoreboard against Stanford on Saturday, the Sun Devils got physically banged up with several players leaving the field with injuries.

Senior center Thomas Altieri had to be helped off the field in the fourth quarter against the Cardinal and did not practice on Tuesday.

In his place was sophomore Garth Gerhart, who is coming off an injury (turf toe) of his own.

Senior quarterback Danny Sullivan was knocked around in his return home to northern California and hobbled off the field late with a knee injury.

Though Sullivan practiced on Tuesday, freshman Brock Osweiler received

increased repetitions during the session.

Osweiler struggled during his time at quarterback against Stanford — 1 for 7 passing for 18 yards — but ASU coach Dennis Erickson believes the 6-foot-8 freshman from Montana is making steady progress.

“He made some throws the other night that were pretty darn good throws, so we know what kind of arm strength he has,” Erickson said Monday.

“He’s just got to get a presence of the game, a feeling of the game I should say and understand what we’re doing offensively and steady it.

“He’s got a lot of talent and he continues to get better in practice and he’s going to play this year. I’m not saying he’s going to start, but he’ll play. He’ll get in games and he’ll get better all the time.”

Sophomore Samson Szakacsy also took more snaps.

The walking wounded extends to the receiving corps, where banged up senior wide receiver Kyle Williams — who did not play against Stanford — and junior Kerry Taylor also sat out practice while nursing hamstring injuries.

Best man

The Sun Devils allowed a 100-yard rusher for the first time this season Saturday when Cardinal running back Toby Gerhart busted up the ASU defense for 125 yards.

Things won’t get any easier this week, because early season Heisman candidate Jahvid Best averages 110 yards per game on the ground and has the ability to hit for huge plays.

“One time he was right up there with the Heisman Trophy, and he hasn’t changed,” Erickson said of Best. “… He made a run against UCLA that is as good as I’ve ever seen. He took it; I think it was 80 yards or something like that. Once he gets in the secondary he’s a world class sprinter, but he’s a football player.”

Nick Kosmider contributed to this report.Reach the reporter at

nick.ruland@asu.edu.

×