Science Foundation Arizona seeking $18.5 million owed by state

Science Foundation Arizona is seeking $18.5 million owed to it by the state of Arizona that will allow 10 ASU research projects to start up again.

The Arizona Supreme Court will hear the science foundation’s case against the state of Arizona on Oct. 27 in its request that these funds be paid. A Maricopa judge issued a judgment of $18.5 million, in favor of Science Foundation Arizona in June but did not force the state to pay.

Margaret Mullen, chief operating officer for Science Foundation Arizona, said it is critically important that the foundation receive the funding so research can continue.

“If [funding] has to stop, we lose far more than the $18 million,” she said. “We lose the $50 or 60 million that we have invested in the research.”

The only way the foundation is able to continue to fund 16 current research grants is through a $12.1 million loan from Stardust Foundation, Mullen said.

There are 12 other projects Science Foundation Arizona promised to back that will have to wait to see if the final state funding pulls through, she said, adding that these projects are important to the Arizona economy.

“All fall into categories that would help Arizona pull out of this economic downturn,” Mullen said. A handful of these projects are conducted at ASU.

Dominic Gervasio, an associate professor of research at the School of Materials and the Center for Applied NanoBioScience, said he relies on funding from Science Foundation Arizona for his research on producing electricity more efficiently by using a fuel cell on renewable biofuel.

“To have your funding halted is a major disturbance to the work,” Gervasio said, adding that without funding his research in this area would stop.

“[This project] will definitely benefit the Arizona economy because it will help make Arizona a leader in renewable power generation,” he said.

Though Gervasio has a number of other research projects he is involved in that have alternative funding sources, he said the state should be involved in funding science research.

“It’s important for the state to fund research because right now the state is undergoing a technology transformation,” he said.

Rick Shangraw, vice president of ASU Research and Economic Affairs, said a total of 10 projects at the University have been delayed because of the state refusing to give funds to the science foundation.

“It’s putting us in a very difficult position right now,” he said.

Three of the delayed projects are working in partnership with businesses that plan to match funding from the foundation, Shangraw said. He added that ASU works hard to develop these partnerships and that in tough economic times, he hates the lack of collaboration with these companies.

“We’re hoping that Science Foundation Arizona can uphold their end of these collaborations because it is critical to the success of this research,” he said.

Paul Senseman, director of communications for Gov. Jan Brewer, said Brewer’s office disagrees with the Legislature’s ruling to cut funding for Science Foundation Arizona.

Senseman called it illegal and said the governor’s office recognizes the importance of the projects the foundation funds.

These research dollars will create employment opportunities that have a long-term impact on Arizona, he said.

Reach the reporter at ndgilber@asu.edu.

×