USG still short one senator

The School of Letters and Sciences remains the only school without representatives in the Downtown campus student government, president Tania Mendes said Tuesday.

As the president of the Associated Students of Arizona State University Downtown, Mendes said most of the issues are due to a lack of student awareness, but the situation is improving.

“We were having problems finding senators starting back in May because a lot of students didn’t know elections were being held and that there actually was a student government downtown,” Mendes said. “Now that students are a lot more aware of … the positions that senators hold and the key role that they play in their colleges, I think that students are now starting to get involved.”

In recent weeks, the problem has been finding two senators from the School of Letters and Sciences and one from the University College.

“As with anything that starts off new you’re going to have your struggles, and this is one of our struggles,” Mendes said. “But at the same time it’s an opportunity for students to get involved in their student government.”

The senators serve as representatives for their schools and are responsible for voicing the thoughts and concerns of students at meetings so changes can be made. The School of Letters and Sciences is the only school that is missing representatives in both of its senator positions.

The University College and the College of Teacher Education and Leadership are both still missing one representative and there are also a few committee member positions that remain empty, Mendes said.

Interdisciplinary studies junior Natasia Bongcas said she can see the struggles the government is having with the School of Letters and Sciences.

“I think other students aren’t aware that the school has a senator [position available],” Bongcas said.

Bongcas considered running for a senator position but was unable because of prior commitments. She said she thought other students in the school were in the same situation.

Beth Wischnia, vice president of ASASUD, said awareness is a huge issue with getting students involved.

“I think it’s a lack of knowledge with the students,” Wischnia said. “We had a PR committee meeting yesterday so we discussed some tactics we’re going to use for advertising.”

ASASUD’s Director of Public Relations Christina Lundeberg said student leaders have been working hard to increase their visibility Downtown.

With the use of digi-boards, which show advertisements on a TV screen in residence hall Taylor Place, the big screens in the University Center and signs around Taylor Mall, ASASUD has been doing what it can to raise awareness with students, she said.

Facebook and Twitter have also played an integral role, Lundeberg said.

Each day brings more friend requests and followers, which leads her to believe that awareness is increasing.

Now that the semester is in full swing Lundeberg said she’s hoping to see more of a response from students.

“The school year has started and everyone’s getting into a routine of what they’re supposed to do,” Lundeberg said.

Another challenge Lundeberg found that was different from the Tempe campus is the location of students. Most students who have classes on the Tempe campus live on or around campus, Lundeberg said.

“With downtown you either live at Taylor Place or off-campus,” Lundeberg said.

One new idea to get students involved is to hold open forums, which ASASUD plans to hold each month, Mendes said.

She said she hopes this will be an opportunity for all students to meet their student government, whether they commute or live at Taylor Place.

Reach the reporter at vajones2@asu.edu.

×