We all have dreams. Illegal immigrants spell theirs in all capital letters, DREAM. It is not a word, rather an acronym for an important piece of legislation.

The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act, or DREAM Act, will allow illegal immigrants who grew up in this country to achieve their dreams. It is an important bill that will allow these young people a path to citizenship.

Opponents of this measure say it offers an incentive for people to immigrate illegally, but this is hardly the case.

It assists the segment of the population who had no say in their journey to America. Those who immigrated to the country before the age of 16 and have lived in this country for five continuous years before the bill becomes a law do not receive amnesty, rather the chance to earn their citizenship.

They must maintain an unblemished criminal record, receive a two-year college degree or serve in the military for two years to retain their residency. It is imperative we pass this act; it will help this country progress. There could be future teachers, doctors and scientists in the population this bill targets.

A Nov. 3 State Press article revealed that courts maintain that illegal immigrants have the right to attend public schools. However, they cannot apply for federal aid money to attend college. Tempting young people with the promise of an education, but then failing to deliver is not only paradoxical but also unjust.

History judges a society not by how it treated those with opportunity but those who faced adversity. Our country has not given these people the respect they deserve. It is not too late to change that though.

Marie Gonzalez, a student advocate for this measure, testified before

Congress in 2007. She is a living, breathing representation of the DREAM Act. Marie is one of the millions of students who would benefit from this initiative.

“I can personally attest to how life in limbo is no way to live. Having been torn apart from my parents for almost two years and struggling to make it on my own, I know what it is like to face difficulty and how hard it is to fight for your dreams. No matter what, I will always consider the United States of America my home. I love this country.

“Only in America would a person like me have the opportunity to tell my story to people like you,” she told members of Congress.

Each year, 650,000 students graduate high school with an uncertain future. This bill would help that ever-increasing population. This generation has a chance to be a voice for the voiceless.

How will future generations judge us? Will we be looked down on just as we look down on our nation’s history of slavery?

This act is just the beginning of prosperity, for both its beneficiaries and this country.

Reach Andrew at andrew.hedlund@asu.edu.

×