I am here to present my argument in Case No. 23.

LeBron James has become the face of basketball, and his sphere of influence around the sport is far reaching.

But I think he is wrong in his cry for Michael Jordan’s jersey number to be retired league-wide.

There are pundits who say LeBron is just seeking to make more money by forcing fans to purchase King James’ newest jersey next year, which could have a new name and number on it.

I am not overly concerned with James’ motives — for the record I don’t think he is trying to drain the wallets of fans — but instead I question the legitimacy of retiring MJ’s uniform from the league.

There is no doubt Jordan was one of the greatest to ever play the game, arguably the best.

But his contributions to the sport don’t extend much past the confines of the 48 minutes on the court.

Jordan had Magic, Bird, Drexler and others to help him propel the NBA’s popularity in the late ’80s and early ’90s.

Jackie Robinson, whose No. 42 has been retired across baseball, fought a courageous battle for equality in the nation’s pastime, improving society as well as the support along the way.

Can Jordan say the same?

×